Public Policy and Government Affairs Manager (46.21)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities
are encouraged to apply.
Golden State Water Company is one of the largest investor-owned water utilities in the United States. We have been all about water for more than 80 years. Our team of professionals delivers reliable, quality water and great service to customers in 75 communities across California.
The Public Policy and Government Affairs Manager performs professional-level work in the development, coordination and implementation of Golden State Water Company’s (“GSWC” or “Company”) public policy and government affairs program. The Manager represents GSWC’s interests with various Federal, State and local leaders, and advocates on behalf of GSWC with government agencies and officials. The Manager monitors Federal and State legislative, regulatory and public policy priorities, and briefs and recommends actions to executives on the implications of these activities for GSWC. The Manager coordinates with GSWC’s outside lobbyists and communication consultants to further the public policy objectives, and maintains overall responsibility for implementation of GSWC’s public policy and government affairs strategy.
The Manager reports to the Senior Vice President, Regulated Water Utility, and works closely with the executive leaders and managers across GSWC. The Manager works in an environment that includes sensitive and confidential data and information; therefore, the Manager must have the ability to achieve policy objectives related to furthering the goals of GSWC in a manner that meets all regulatory and Company requirements for confidentiality of sensitive information. The incumbent in this position must work independently, exercise initiative and judgment in the performance of a broad range of responsibilities, including the ability to communicate with a diverse group of employees, executives and external consultants to meet the Company’s public policy objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the executives to develop GSWC’s public policy strategy, and develops the GSWC advocacy plan and legislative agenda to meet legislative and regulatory goals, both at the State and Federal levels.
- Monitors and reports on Federal and State legislative and policy priorities, and recommends GSWC actions accordingly.
- Advocates on legislative and regulatory issues through private meetings, public presentations and through building coalitions to meet strategy objectives. Works closely with GSWC’s outside consultants and lobbyists to develop and execute the governmental affairs strategy.
- Represents GSWC at legislative hearings, and serves as the Company’s lead in interfacing with State and Federal leaders. Builds and strengthens relationships with Federal, State and Local leaders representing the communities we serve, as well as leaders of relevant legislative committees, state and local regulatory agencies, and leadership positions.
- Manages GSWC’s state and local political and philanthropic donation program. Oversees and participates in political and charitable fundraising events and sponsorships. Develops and refines PAC efforts related to both candidates for public office and ballot measures, and creates and implements a strategic expenditure plan in consultation with the Company’s lobbyists.
- Closely coordinates communication efforts with the Company’s Community and Customer Education program and vendor. Ensures consistency in customer and political communications. Supports the Community and Customer Education vendor in media relations and responses.
- Provides support to General Managers in meeting policy objectives at the local level, and provides direction to local political issues and opportunities.
- Provides strategic support to the Regulatory Affairs department in aligning California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and California Water Resources Control Board strategy and communications with the overall public affairs and legislative strategies.
- Represents GSWC at industry meetings, both at the local, State and Federal level, and serves on relevant industry committees, boards and organizations to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in political science, public policy, history, business or related fields.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in areas related to governmental affairs, lobbying, legislative or executive public service, or public affairs duties.
- Experience in utilities, and general knowledge of California Water Issues and the CPUC’s processes strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and ability to influence and build coalitions and relationships.
Qualities of a Successful Public Policy and Governmental Affairs Manager:
- Independent worker and analytical thinker with the ability to identify problems, conduct research and recommend strategies to meet policy objectives. Demonstrated critical thinking capacity as well as the ability to properly exercise judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Maturity, professionalism, and high level of discretion is required. Must have high integrity, accountability, and be a discerning individual.
- Collaborative and team oriented. Ability to negotiate for the overall best outcome. Demonstrated influencing skills.
- High degree of initiative; self-starter.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
May include but not limited to standing, climbing, walking, lifting, bending, pulling and/or pushing, grasping, reaching, stooping and crouching, sitting, typing, walking, reading, writing, color determination, speaking and listening for extended periods of time.
The responsibilities of this position will involve access to information that may be considered confidential, private and sensitive. Therefore, the individual filling this position will be required to both allow and pass a background check.
Golden State Water Company is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colors, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-13