Public Policy and Legislative Affairs Specialist
Tracking Code1362-437Job Description
The Public Policy and Legislative Affairs Specialist is a position within the Public Policy and Legislative Affairs practice at WilmerHale that lobbies on behalf of its clients. The position assists clients in advocacy meetings on Capitol Hill and at federal agencies, and monitors federal legislative and regulatory developments in a wide array of policy areas. The position offers the opportunity to work with former Legislative and Executive branch officials and to learn about public policy in the context of one of the country’s leading law firms.
- Participating in client meetings and contributing to legislative strategy
- Frequent communication with Congressional and agency staff to advocate on client priorities
- Scheduling, facilitating and participating in client meetings on Capitol Hill, industry/association “fly-ins”
- Monitoring legislative and regulatory developments as they pertain to firm and client interests, and provide assistance in developing policy recommendations
- Conducting legislative and regulatory research and preparing summaries and reports on issues of interest
- Attend events and meetings outside traditional working hours to extend and amplify the reach of PPLA
- Broad knowledge of the legislative and regulatory processes
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment, and understand the political sensitivity behind issues
- Creative problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills (e.g. communication, leadership, responsibility, teamwork)
- Excellent writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree in political science or related field required.
- Law degree is not required, but candidates with a law degree preferred.
- Minimum three years of Congressional or agency experience handling legislative responsibilities
WilmerHale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or other protected status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-19