Public Policy Manager
POSITION OBJECTIVE: This position provides support for political & government relations and external affairs strategies in coordination with the Vice President for Public Affairs
Overall Strategy and Management:
- Participate in the development and implementation of policy, advocacy and related communications strategies for the Embrace Families (EF) family of companies.
- Inform organizational strategic planning, quality improvement processes and operations by providing public affairs context and policy analysis.
- Build and maintain relationships with diverse like-minded public and private organizations and individuals to develop networks and increase agency reach and influence.
- Provide support of various EF political initiatives including political committees (including compliance with state and federal law).Advocacy and Policy:
- Participate in the development of policy and advocacy messages and products for local, regional and state stakeholders and policymakers, ensuring that field priorities and perspectives are integrated.
- In conjunction with appropriate EF staff, closely monitor policy debates and media pertaining to child welfare and other lines of business, ensuring that relevant information is analyzed and disseminated in a timely and effective manner.
- When appropriate, write policy and advocacy material including talking points, briefing notes, position papers and advocacy reports.
- Represent EF in local and regional advocacy, policy and coordination forums, as well as at key advocacy meetings.
- Respond to external inquiries on policy issues, including briefing policymakers and media.
- Conduct legal and legislative research as needed to help craft and deliver clear, effective policy proposals.Communications and Media:
- As a part of the Public Affairs team, coordinate with the Vice President for Public Affairs and relevant partners on media, crisis communication and advocacy message delivery as needed.
- Partner with appropriate public relations contacts to manage reactive messaging, and act as organizational spokesperson as required.
- Work with appropriate EF staff to ensure that website and communications material is compelling, accurate, updated, and in line with EF’s Public Affairs strategy.
- Organize and maintain EF Public Affairs social media efforts.General:
- Participates in creation and annual reviews of Unit Policy and Procedure Manuals to ensure all policy and procedures reflect current state, federal and system of care requirements.
- Participates in the agency strategic plan & quality improvement processes.
- Ability to safely & successfully perform essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, & other federal, state, & local standards, including meeting qualitative & quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA & other federal, state, & local standards.
- Ability to comply with all personnel policies & procedures.
We understand the importance that every provider, parent and employee play in the success of our mission to protect and inspire every child, every day. An essential function of all employees is to provide excellent customer service by being professional and respectful in all interactions every day. It is also expected that all employees are timely and responsive in their communication with others.
This list of functions is not intended to be exhaustive. The agency reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and five years experience in law, policy development, strategy and policy implementation, issue advocacy, communications, public policy, public affairs, government relations or similar field.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university and three years experience in law, policy development, strategy and policy implementation, issue advocacy, communications, public policy, public affairs, government relations or similar field.
- Must be proficient in basic Microsoft Office operating platforms with a focus on advanced Excel
- Effective leadership, management and planning and decision-making skills.
- Proven interpersonal, communication, relationship building and negotiation skills
- Ability to interpret and distill policy dealing with system of care.
- Demonstrate cultural and linguistic competence & sensitivity to population served
- Ability to Travel
- Proven ability to maintain website and social media sites.
- Experience with Political Committees, Political Action Committees and Issue Campaigns
- Thorough Background Screening upon hire including FBI, FDLE, Local Law check, Employment Reference check, DMV check, Criminal Records check, Social Security Trace & Drug Screening. FDLE check will be run at least every 5 years
- On-call assignments- YES
- Travel- local: 30% per week, long-distance: 10% per month
- Attend at least 15 hours of in-service training annually
PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: (N=Needed P=Preferred)
Analyzing (N), Bending-neck (P), Bending-waist (P), Calculations (N),
Carrying/Lifting (P), Climbing (P), Crawling/Crouching (P), Finger Movements (N), Handling Objects (N), Kneeling (P), Pushing/Pulling (P), Reaching (P), Reading & Comprehending (N), Reasoning (N), Sitting (P), Squatting (P), Standing (P), Twisting-neck (P), Twisting-waist (P), Walking (P), Writing (N)
POSITION STATUS: Exempt
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-17