Public Policy Manager
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
WhatsApp Inc., a subsidiary of Facebook, seeks a Public Policy Manager to help develop and support WhatsApp’s policy strategy and engagement throughout the world. This is a great opportunity for someone wanting to help shape the future of Internet and mobile policy and make an impact as part of a small, nimble, and growing team. Candidates should have strong knowledge of Internet and telecommunications policy issues, including encryption, security, privacy, safety, integrity and e-commerce. They should also be comfortable creating policy briefs and analyzing policy proposals. The person will work closely with the Public Policy team and other relevant groups at Facebook.
As a Public Policy Manager for WhatsApp, you will shape various product and issue agendas with policy makers inside and outside government. In addition, you will help advise our internal teams on the public policy challenges and opportunities of their products, working with a cross-functional global team. The role requires significant experience either working with or in government, politics or a regulatory agency as well as an ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues. In this role, you will also manage strategic outreach and policy campaigns to advance the values and interests of WhatsApp. You will advocate for WhatsApp on the big public policy issues of the day and often play a part in high-profile debates.
- Develop strategic outreach and policy campaigns to clear a path for WhatsApp’s continued innovation, exploration and growth
- Identify, monitor, and analyze policy issues affecting WhatsApp at the international, federal, and state levels
- Support engagement with policymakers, trade associations, industry partners, key opinion formers, non-profit groups and others to support policies that will help create/maintain a user-focused, private, safe and secure online environment
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Legal, Communications, Corporate and Partnership teams, as well as global policy teams to build and drive policies that support the company’s goals
- Build coalitions with other organizations to advance WhatsApp’s policy goals
- Develop and project manage innovative policy campaigns
- Support the development of WhatsApp’s narrative and position around key issues, including encryption, privacy, integrity, safety, economic development, and e-commerce in briefing papers, consultation responses, internal and external meetings, and other materials
- Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues and thought leaders
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in public policy, government, or legal, including experience managing policy campaigns and strategic outreach with diverse stakeholders
- Bachelor degree in policy, international affairs, or other related field
- Experience advising teams and executives on policy matters
- Experience producing policy briefs and other advocacy product policy documents for internal and external stakeholders
- Masters or J.D. and 10+ years of policy experience
- Experience in internet technologies, security, privacy, integrity, safety, content moderation and the surrounding policy environments
- Government relations or experience in government working on policy issues
- Product counseling experience
- Experience executing cross-functional policy campaigns outside the United States
WhatsApp is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. You may view our Equal Employment Opportunity notice here. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. You may view Facebook’s Pay Transparency Policy and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, WhatsApp participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
WhatsApp is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com .
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-24