Public Policy Manager
Sonder is revolutionizing hospitality through innovative, tech-powered service and inspiring, thoughtfully designed accommodations combined into one seamlessly managed experience. Officially launched in 2014 and headquartered in San Francisco, Sonder is making a world of better stays open to all with a variety of accommodation options — from rooms to suites and apartments — found in more than 30 cities spanning eight countries and three continents. Sonder’s innovative app empowers guests by making self-service features and 24/7 on-the-ground support just a tap away. From simple self check-in to boutique bathroom amenities, we bring the best of a hotel without any of the formality.
Sonder’s global public policy department supports every aspect of Sonder’s domestic and international growth strategy. The Sonder public policy team partners with its business colleagues to proactively engage policy makers and other community stakeholders as we launch in new cities around the world. We aim to comply with all applicable regulations and engage with cities positively and proactively in order to align our business strategy to local requirements.
We’re looking for a Public Policy Manager to support the global public policy team’s work on land use and hospitality regulatory priorities. This public policy professional will be the primary internal expert on the regulatory issues impacting our business operations including but not limited to land use, hospitality and relevant sustainability policy in an effort to support our advocacy work in all our markets. This expert will provide proactive consultation and decision support on real estate growth decisions by identifying and reporting on a range of regulatory and policy issues and opportunities.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a background in and a passion for hospitality, land use and or housing law and policy. This public policy professional will work closely with Sonder’s Global Public Policy team, the Real Estate team and Market Operations team – across both North America and EMEA – and will report into Sonder’s VP of Corporate Affairs.
AT SONDER YOU WILL:
- Lead legislative and regulatory research and analysis in support of the company’s global public policy advocacy objectives.
- Lead and support the preparation of external facing legislative and policy-related resources such as issue papers, talking points, speeches and letters for use by the public policy team.
- Develop regular updates on public policy activities, including presentations, intranet content refreshes, and internal newsletters.
- Stay abreast of and inform the public policy team of relevant policy debates and regulatory changes that impact our business strategy.
- With support from external experts (local counsel), lead the research of the regulatory requirements in a new market prior to new market launches.
- Further develop and maintain a regulatory database of accommodations and land use requirements for each market.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Evidence of exceptional ability.
- Proven track record of learning quickly, taking initiative, working proactively and being resourceful.
- Excellent knowledge of land use and hospitality law and policy.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex policy information to a wide variety of audiences.
- Energetic, collaborative, and willing to take on a variety of assignments as part of a small but dynamic team.
- Detail-oriented, self-initiating, well-organized, and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as on teams with diverse personalities and skill levels.
- A creative problem solver who is open to new ideas and new approaches.
- Experience identifying and understanding key regulatory issues pertaining to company operations in local jurisdictions, understanding business implications, and synthesizing information for internal and external stakeholders, and recommending a best course of action.
- Ability to work across multiple jurisdictions – international experience a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant legal or policy experience.
- BA/BS required, Law Degree preferred.
We also have great benefits to make your life easier so you can focus on what you’re best at:
- Competitive salary
- Generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Annual free credits and discounts to stay in Sonders
- A company with a huge vision, a dynamic work environment, and a team of smart, ambitious and fun to work-with colleagues!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status or other protected classes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-19