Public Policy Manager
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb’s various functions embody the company’s innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
We are looking for a Public Policy Manager to support our campaigns across the Southeast US. In this role, you will help to define policy goals and positions and implement them, working closely alongside other functional experts who support those goals through content, community engagement, partnerships and media relations. This role will report to the Public Policy Lead for the Southeast US.
To do this role effectively you must be able to build trust and engage with a variety of stakeholders, including local, state and national governments, academia, industry associations, and the media, to help them understand our business and the contributions of our community in order to win hearts and minds in support of Airbnb’s growth and tourism as a whole.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb’s mission and tourism, and have experience in regulatory, tax and political work in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context.
Frequent travel within the US should be expected once travel normalizes, along with occasional travel to our global headquarters in San Francisco.
- Support the Public Policy Lead for the Southeast US in executing the company’s public policy strategy, concentrating mainly on influencing the development of Airbnb in key economies in the region.
- Develop local stakeholder engagement strategy and partnership programs.
- Initiate and lead pilot partnerships projects with local stakeholders to promote brand and tackle regulatory issues.
- Help implement Airbnb’s public policy activities; including helping determine advocacy priorities, positions, and strategies.
- Represent Airbnb in associations and collaborations to advance Airbnb’s advocacy initiatives – building these relationships from scratch if necessary.
- Maintain relationships with an extensive network of contacts in local, regional and national government, as well as with allied groups and coalition partners– building these relationships from scratch if necessary.
- Develop external facing documents, such as feedback to regulatory proposals or industry position papers in very short windows of time.
- Represent Airbnb in meetings with government and elected officials, as well as industry associations.
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting the policy in home-sharing or other Airbnb verticals in the Southeast US.
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges.
- Manage consultants and external resources to execute our plans.
- More than 6 years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage).
- Direct policy experience, preferably in one of the following fields: tourism, housing, or e-commerce/internet regulation – which must include a track record of influencing regulation and legislation at some level of government in the Southeast US
- State and local advocacy experience within the Southeast region.
- Degree or advanced degree level in related field.
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organizational skills.
- An eye for detail – with an ability to very quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Proficient writing of policy papers and legislative proposals.
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a matrixed work environment while producing the highest caliber work product in a timely manner.
- Self-starter with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast-moving and sometimes stressful environment.
- Proficiency in the use of online collaboration and productivity tools.
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in English.
- Willingness to travel potentially up to 50% of the time
- This role is currently expected to be based in any city where Airbnb has a physical office space, though we are exploring our remote working model, and may update location options in the future.
Job posted: 2021-10-03