Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Policy Manager, Federal/State
Snap Inc is a technology company. We believe the camera presents the greatest opportunity to improve the way people live and communicate. Snap contributes to human progress by empowering people to express themselves, live in the moment, learn about the world, and have fun together. The Company’s three core products are Snapchat, a visual messaging app that enhances your relationships with friends, family, and the world; Lens Studio, an augmented reality platform that powers AR across Snapchat and other services; and its AR glasses, Spectacles.
The Legal & Policy Team is Snap’s dedicated in-house law firm, policy consultant, lobbyist, thought partner, and all-around advisor. This team helps Snap do the right thing the right way, make better decisions, understand and manage risks, and creatively navigate challenges, both external and internal. We partner with Snap team members on a wide array of matters, including privacy, product, IP, commercial transactions, corporate governance, employment, acquisitions, litigation, and policy, and social impact. We value the power of diversity, as we continually strive to build an innovative and inclusive leadership culture centered on Snap’s values of Kind, Smart, and Creative.
We’re looking for a Public Policy Manager to join Snap Inc. As a member of the Global Public Policy Team, you will focus on US federal and state policy and government issues. Working out of the Washington DC office, you will be engaged in federal advocacy with Legislative and Executive branch leaders, shaping policies in the areas of privacy, safety, content moderation, tax, STEM education, diversity & inclusion, workforce development, as well as a range of other policy areas that are essential to Snap’s business. You will also be engaged in policy efforts at the state level, helping to track, analyze and shape state legislation, as well as engaging with executive policy makers, like attorneys general, to educate policymakers about our platform, our values, and our many efforts to keep users safe.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with the federal and state public policy team to advance Snap’s policy positions with key partners in Washington DC, and across the country to develop and execute a strategic plan.
- Monitor and engage on federal and state legislative and regulatory issues of concern in the areas of privacy, safety, content moderation, tax, diversity & inclusion, workforce development, and any other policy areas that are essential to Snap’s business.
- Build strong relationships with key policymakers in both Congress and key states around the country to enhance Snap’s reputation and influence.
- Meet regularly with key congressional and state legislative offices to educate them about the Snapchat platform, our public policy priorities and other engagement efforts.
- Articulate clearly and concisely Snap’s vision and differentiated position in the social media industry, as well as the federal and state policy outcomes needed to support this vision.
- Drive Snap’s participation with industry trade associations, issue-based coalitions, and relevant third parties to advance our policy objectives.
- Work cross-functionally with the Legal, Communications, Platform Integrity, Law Enforcement Operations and other teams to inform internal stakeholders of external developments, and help shape Snap’s federal and state public policy agenda.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven experience with the policy and political landscape in Washington DC and/or major state capitals around the country (especially Sacramento, Austin, Olympia, Springfield, Albany, Tallahassee, etc).
- Willingness to travel, as needed.
- Deep knowledge of pressing policy issues facing Snap, social media and the larger internet industry.
- Strong relationships with key stakeholders on Capitol Hill, in state legislatures, and in the industry.
- Excellent ethical judgment and decision-making skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including comfort with public speaking and advising internal stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently, proactively and cross-functionally.
- Kindness, creativity, intelligence and an instinctual appreciation for Snapchat and its mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Legal Studies or related field; or equivalent years of experience.
- At least 6+ years relevant advocacy/policy experience with the US federal government and/or state government, or related advocacy groups.
- Consistent track record of understanding and influencing regulatory and legislative processes, including successful advocacy efforts that achieved favorable policy outcomes.
- Advanced degree desirable.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
“Default Together” Policy at Snap: At Snap Inc. we believe that being together in person helps us build our culture faster, reinforce our values, and serve our community, customers and partners better through dynamic collaboration. To reflect this, we practice a “default together” approach and expect our team members to work in an office at least 80% of the time (an average of 4 days per week)
If you are not based in the same location(s) listed for this role and are open to relocation, we encourage you to apply to take advantage of our generous relocation policy.
At Snap, we believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to create innovative products that improve the way people live and communicate. Snap is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. EOE, including disability/vets. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please don’t be shy and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Benefits : Snap Inc. is its own community, so we’ve got your back! We do our best to make sure you and your loved ones have everything you need to be happy and healthy, on your own terms. Our benefits are built around your needs and include paid maternity & paternity leave, comprehensive medical coverage, emotional and mental health support programs, and compensation packages that let you share in Snap’s long-term success!
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-01-22