Mountain View, CA
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Mountain View, CA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA
As a member of Google’s Public Policy team, you help shape various product and issue agendas with policy makers inside and outside government. In addition, you will help advise our internal teams on the public policy implications of their products, working with a closely coordinated and cross-functional global team. The role requires significant experience either working with or in government, politics or a regulatory agency as well as an ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
As a member of Google’s Public Policy team, you will support the company’s public policy professionals in various regions, work with Google’s product and engineering teams, and represent Google externally with government, regulators and third parties. Key areas of focus will include public policy implications of Google’s Next Billion Users (NBU) efforts. The NBU team is focused on building solutions to bring new users online, accelerate broadband adoption and drive relevance of content and applications for the next wave of Internet users. You will work with a cross-functional team of Google employees, as well as with a closely-coordinated global Public Policy team to advance policy positions that benefit our users and, more generally, an open Internet.
Technology moves quickly, so it’s important that we work closely with politicians, regulators, academics and third parties around the issues that affect the Internet and our users. We advocate for Google on the big public policy issues of the day and often play a part in high-profile debates. In this role, you’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage different campaigns and projects to tight deadlines. You’ll apply your expertise to real-world scenarios, acting as an inspiring advocate and enthusiastic team player eager to help shape the future of Internet and mobile policy.
- Work within a global public affairs team to develop public policy strategies and positions for Google, including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on those positions.
- Support global teams that work with trade associations, industry partners, non-profit groups, and other allies to promote and build support for Google’s public policy positions.
- Work with product and engineering teams and provide advice on matters related to mobile platforms, communications systems, and emerging issues impacting the next wave of Internet users.
- Advance Google’s mission and defend its values.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience working within government, think tanks, public interest groups or mobile technology industry groups.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the business implications of public policy and experience working closely with and advising product or engineering teams.
- Familiarity with Internet technologies and the surrounding policy environments, or an ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Team player who can work with people from a broad range of backgrounds and experience, including leading campaigns.
- Demonstrated networking skills, with the ability to work in a cross-cultural environment and manage relationships in multiple countries.
- A sense of humor and the ability to thrive and exercise judgment in a fast moving environment; a self starter with the ability to think, plan, and execute large projects.
- Effective communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, as well as the ability to write well and translate complex issues into simple language that people who are not experts can understand.
Job Posted: February 20, 2017