Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Policy Manager (Product)
San Francisco, CA
Anthropic’s mission is to create reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole.
As a Public Policy Manager (Product) on the Public Policy team, you will serve as the bridge between our Product organization and the policy community. You will explain our products to policymakers around the world, as well as lead our external engagement on policy issues that affect our commercial offerings, including data privacy, intellectual property, Trust & Safety (T&S), and other topics as they arise. In parallel, you will help shape the ongoing development of our products so that they appropriately reflect updates and changes in the broader policy community.
This role is highly cross-functional and you will collaborate closely with our Product, Legal, T&S, and Communications teams. You will work with many of these teams to spearhead due diligence efforts and implement regulatory frameworks into our product development process. You will also build and maintain relationships with civil society organizations to inform our product policies and internal design practices, in partnership with the T&S and Policy teams.
- Strong track record working cross-functionally with Product, Legal, Trust & Safety, and Communications teams on product design and policy developments
- Demonstrated experience briefing policymakers and regulatory authorities in multiple markets including the U.S. and the E.U.
- Collaboration with Product teams to ensure products conform to policy requirements, frameworks, and toolkits
- Experience designing and advocating for concrete policy and regulatory proposals for consumer and / or enterprise technology products
- Exceptional communication skills and an ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- 7+ years Public Policy experience, in technology companies or government (or both!)
- Deep familiarity with data privacy, security, T&S, or intellectual property topics
- Experience with AI / ML
- Building partnerships with civil society and advocacy groups to inform Trust & Safety policies
- Representing Public Policy on internal review committees or product review processes
Representative Projects Could Include:
- Developing proactive policy campaigns that explain our products, users, and Trust & Safety policies to policymakers in multiple geographies
- Spearheading engagement with policymakers in response to inquiries regarding our products
- Conducting gap analyses between our internal processes and recommended policy frameworks
- Designing and executing a policy campaign for regulatory proposals to govern general-purpose AI systems including large language models (LLMs) in commercial applications
- Working cross-functionally with Product, Legal, and Trust & Safety teams to conduct policy reviews and impact assessments on our products
- Working cross-functionally with Communications, Product, and Trust & Safety teams to clearly communicate product design decisions and product policies
- Building and maintaining relationships with key policymakers and national regulatory authorities
- Building and maintaining relationships with civil society and advocacy groups
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary for this position is $300k.
Hybrid policy & US visa sponsorship: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time. We do sponsor visas! However, we aren’t able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity – On top of this position’s salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits – Benefits we offer include:
– Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
– Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
– 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
– 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
– Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
– Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
– Fertility benefits via Carrot.
– Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
– Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we’re different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We’re an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Company-wide hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time. However, different roles may have different requirements – if this role has a different preference, it will be noted above.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you’re interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we’re building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Come work with us! Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.
Job posted: 2023-05-16