Public Policy Manager, Responsible AI
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Mountain View, CA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of relevant work experience in science or tech policy.
- Advanced degree in policy, philosophy, or engineering.
- Experience at a technology company, NGO or similar organization dealing with technology policy issues with international implications.
- Experience working closely with and advising product or engineering teams, with the ability to understand the business implications of public policy.
- Familiarity with, and ability to learn and think about the latest research in machine learning and societal/ethical implications.
- Effective written and verbal communications skills
About the job
As a member of the Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you help shape various product and issue agendas with policymakers inside and outside government. In addition, you advise our internal teams on the public policy implications of their products. In this role, you will work closely with product and other cross-functional stakeholders.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Advise internal stakeholders with public policy views on responsible AI including fairness, interpretability, privacy, security, and dual use.
- Advance Google thought leadership in responsible development and use of AI, including development of proactive policy positions and convening, and represent Google on these topics.
- Engage directly with policymakers and key opinion formers to shape public and political dialogue on thoughtful, responsible AI development, considering potential opportunities as well as challenges and unintended consequences.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-24