Public Policy Manager – U.S. Federal and State Outreach Manager
Twitter is a world-wide communications platform that is changing how people interact and communicate at home and at work. The Twitter @Policy team focuses on public policy issues posed by the continuing spread of digital technology and web-based communications services around the world. These issues range from freedom of expression, online safety, intellectual property, copyright, privacy, and Internet freedom. The @Policy team also works to showcase the role of Twitter in government and for civic participation through our @TwitterGov work. And we manage and direct Twitter’s corporate social responsibility work in the markets we serve. Our @TwitterforGood efforts involve working directly with NGOs active in the areas of digital inclusion, freedom of expression, online safety and security, women and minorities in tech, and emergency services/disaster recovery.
What You’ll Do
- Manage public policy issues of importance at the state and federal level.
- Help identify and support opportunities to ensure that key government representatives understand and can effectively utilize Twitter.
- Educate lawmakers and partners on the state and federal level on the power of Twitter and conduct Twitter public speaking opportunities as needed.
- Provide front-line support on issues requiring engagement with internal and external stakeholders, solving problems, and escalating to internal cross-functional teams as needed.
- Prepare materials for engagement with policymakers, regulators, and lawmakers.
- Meet with key government, political, and media representatives to help them understand Twitter and advance policies beneficial to Twitter and our users.
- Represent Twitter at high tech industry gatherings and coalition meetings, and speak publicly on policy panels at events and conventions.
- Conduct research into tech policy issues, working with other Twitter team members to fashion policy solutions that meet the legitimate needs of policymakers, while advancing the interests of Twitter users.
- Develop public policy strategy and content, as well as conduct Twitter trainings, for state and local governments, non-profits, and civil society partners regarding Twitter Safety Rules and Tools, NGO strategies, Inclusion & Diversity, Equality, Media Literacy, and Digital Citizenship
Who You Are
We are looking for a Public Policy manager who has:
- Significant experience working in government, politics, and public policy with deep familiarity across all three disciplines. Experience working in the U.S. Congress and in state politics is preferred.
- Tech policy expertise preferred.
- Must be able to register as a lobbyist (federal and relevant states)
- Strong communications, writing, and interpersonal skills
- A focus on cross-functional collaboration and team orientation
- Reasonable fluency in social media and high technology
- A passion for the power of communications to change the world for the better
- A sense of humor
- A university degree; advanced degree preferred
- 8-10 years of work experience in government, politics, or public policy; preferably within the internet/technology industry
- Ability to travel on occasion
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any legally protected status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-07