Public Policy Specialist
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading international law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We are currently seeking a Public Policy Specialist in the Public Law & Policy practice reporting directly to assigned attorney(s), advisor(s) and Public Law & Policy Practice Manager. The position will reside in the Washington, DC office and will be responsible for supporting the needs of the Public Law & Policy practice.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Conduct extensive, in-depth and time-sensitive research and package findings.
- Keep abreast of pending legislation, industry trends and current events that impact clients and perspective clients with a special focus on the areas of tax and/or healthcare.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the legislative process and Capitol Hill and have the ability to maintain key relationships as needed.
- Attend and summarize congressional hearings.
- Coordinate and/or attend meetings for and with members of the PLP team (and other practices) our clients, and with members of congress and/or their staff.
- Monitor and report on client-relevant media.
- Draft client facing talking points, articles, briefings, client alerts, letters and other memoranda.
- Assist with client development, including conducting research and working with business development on presentations and proposals.
- Proofread and review the work of others.
- Other legislative support functions as required.
Qualifications (Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Basic knowledge of the legislative process required
- Spanish Fluency Preferred
- Political or campaign experience a plus, but not required
- Understanding of political and legislative processes
- Familiarity with FEC and LDA reporting a plus but not required
- Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office including Word and Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to work proactively and demonstrate initiative
- Ability to work independently, multi-task and prioritize among competing tasks under pressure and time constraints
- Good judgment and a strong sense of responsibility, integrity and loyalty
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of client, firm and office information and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-24