Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Policy Team Positions
Full Job Description
The National Association of State Departments of Agriculture is seeking a new team member to join its Public Policy team who is passionate about American agriculture and the policies that affect the agricultural industry. This position will have the opportunity to travel across the U.S. for meetings and conferences with the possibility of international travel. The candidate will have the opportunity to build relationships and collaborate with leaders from state departments of agriculture from all 50 states and four U.S. territories, government entities, and major agricultural corporations.
Members of the Public Policy team earn a competitive salary and enjoy an excellent work culture at an organization with exceptional perks, including a flexible schedule and an incredible mission.
The National Association of State Departments of Agriculture is a nonpartisan, nonprofit association representing the elected and appointed commissioners, secretaries, and directors of the state departments of agriculture. NASDA grows and enhances American agriculture through policy, partnerships, and public engagement.
We recognize that to achieve our goals, we need employees who are as passionate about agriculture as we are. We strive to create a positive work environment that our employees can be proud of and where they can build their careers.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Lead development, implementation, and communication of assigned policy portfolio. Policy portfolio may include issues within:
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Plant Agriculture and Pesticide Regulation
- Food Systems and Nutrition
- Rural Development & Financial Security
- Serve as staff lead, and provide staff support for NASDA standing policy committees.
- Communicate with NASDA members who are commissioners, secretaries, directors of state departments of agriculture, and state staff in departments of agriculture.
- Pursue and maintain excellence in advocating NASDA positions and policy with NASDA stakeholders, including federal agencies, Congressional offices, and other organizations.
- Build relationships and cultivate partnerships with external stakeholders to advance NASDA’s policy priorities.
- Work closely with the Senior Management Team to execute NASDA’s Strategic Plan goals.
- Execute project and fiduciary management successfully.
- Participate in communications and meeting/events strategies and routinely develop materials in collaboration with other NASDA staff.
- All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply towards any of the following levels:
- Director of Public Policy (6+ years of experience)
- Associate Director, Public Policy (4+ years of experience)
- Manager, Public Policy (2+ years of experience)
- Coordinator, Public Policy (entry-level)
- Experience in agriculture or natural resource-related policy development and strategic issue management, including regulatory, scientific, legal, or governmental affairs at the state or federal level.
- Working knowledge of agricultural policy issues and challenges at the federal and state level.
- Basic understanding of how state departments of agriculture function and serve their agricultural communities.
- Demonstrated ability to build and leverage strategic relationships with government officials, stakeholders, partners, and other relevant organizations.
- Project management experience.
- Ability to multi-task in an energetic, deadline-oriented work environment.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Capacity to work as an influential member of a team.
- A demonstrable desire to continuously learn, self-develop, and pursue excellence in the job.
- A college degree is required. A BA/BS or advanced degree in agricultural policy, political science, public policy, economics, or other program related to agriculture, food, and(or) natural resources is desirable.
This full-time, exempt position works at NASDA headquarters at 4350 North Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA, two blocks from the Ballston Metro Station (orange and silver lines). We offer a hybrid work schedule, with three days in the office and two days working from home.
- PTO for vacation, sick leave, and volunteer hours
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development
- 401k – 100% match up to 4%
We understand your time is valuable, so we have a rapid and easy application process. Please complete our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application and submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to careers@NASDA.org.
Job posted: 2022-09-08