Public Relations & Advocacy Specialist
STATEMENT OF THE JOB:
Responsible for developing and / or assisting in the implementation of public relations strategies and advocacy communication plans; generating news and advocacy content for social media, email, news releases, media alerts, etc., which positively reflect United Way’s brand and messaging; working with and coordinating internal and external parties for the publicity and advocacy needs of the organization.
Public Relations Activities
- Work with United Way departments and partners to develop media opportunities, which highlight and promote United Way’s mission to fight for the health, education and financial stability of all those in Lucas, Wood and Ottawa County.
- Increase quality coverage, outreach and interview opportunities, as it relates to print, television, radio, magazine, etc. news opportunities.
- Position United Way as a resource for media, as it relates to information regarding health and human services, as well as health and human service advocacy issues.
- Writing of news releases, pitch letters, media alerts, op-eds, etc. when needed.
- Track United Way’s electronic and print news coverage, as well as update our online newsroom.
- Update contact lists for media, (suburban papers to regional outlets).
Advocacy Communication Activities
- Coordinate meetings and in-person / digital gatherings with elected officials, their district managers, legislative assistants, etc.
- Create and publish advocacy-related content for United Way’s social media followers and advocacy volunteers.
- Assist in researching policy and creating short briefs on legislation, which are shared with internal and external audiences.
- Update contact lists for elected officials, (local to federal levels).
- Be conversant about United Way’s brand, mission and background in order to convey and integrate brand messages consistently and appropriately in handling inquiries, questions and interactions with elected officials, news representatives, donors and volunteers.
- Work cross-functionally with United Way’s varying departments and, at times, manage numerous projects in a given day / week.
- A passion to learn and remain up-to-date on local, state and national issues.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in communications, public relations, political science, public affairs
- 1 – 2 years’ experience in communications, public relations, government relations, campaigns
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Google Docs, Sheets, Slides
- Proficient in Outlook; scheduling meetings and appointments
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated excellence in editing / proofreading (knowledge in AP Style preferred)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deliver high quality, accurate products, while operating in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
As a representative within the Department of Public Relations and Advocacy, you are expected to uphold our organizational values on diversity, equity and inclusion. To increase access to education, health and financial stability services, we must accurately understand the role in which racism, homophobia, xenophobia, ageism, ableism, classism, etc. has limited a persons ability to receive the health and human services they deserve. This knowledge allows the department to better advocate for those in our community, as well as appropriately tell their stories.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
*UWGT IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-06