Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Relations and Communications Strategist
Who We Are:
The Alliance for Decision Education (“the Alliance”) is a non-profit education organization leading the growing call to have decision-making skills, or Decision Education, taught in schools K-12 across the country. We believe that equipping students with skills proven to drive better decisions will enable them to perform better in school and in life, improving health, finances, family outcomes, and their communities. Our work is backed by a growing number of teachers, parents, researchers, and business leaders who have seen Decision Education improve students’ lives and the lives of those around them. Our mission is to improve lives by empowering students with essential decision skills. For more information, please visit us at www.alliancefordecisioneducation.org.
The Alliance is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity, promotes equity, and encourages inclusivity. We are committed to building and fostering a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more diverse we are, the better our work will be, and the more impact we will have.
Reporting to and working closely with the Director of Communications, the Public Relations and Communications Strategist will help build and execute a holistic strategic communication plan that will expand the awareness of and engagement in Decision Education and the Alliance.
The Public Relations and Communications Strategist will be responsible for leading the Alliance’s Public Relations efforts and will also support all areas of communications work. They will work closely with all members of the Communications Department and also will collaborate across the organization on messaging and material creation.
We expect the Public Relations and Communications Strategist to work primarily from the Alliance office in Bala Cynwyd, PA once the organization returns to a hybrid schedule, likely this spring. In special circumstances, we will consider long-term remote work for candidates who are not local to our office.
- Lead the development of a Public Relations program
- Build a list of targeted outlets, foster media relationships, create pitches, and execute placements
- Secure external speaking engagements for Alliance leadership and partners to build Alliance equity and engagement in Decision Education
- Develop a strategic plan that will amplify the voices of Alliance supporters and ambassadors through media, social media, events, etc.
- Create messaging for internal teams and external supporters to enable them to speak accurately, effectively, and passionately about the Alliance and the need for Decision Education
- Serve as a leading member of the Alliance Communications team, supporting all areas of work with both strategic direction and input and hands-on execution when needed
- Generate new ways of sharing the Alliance story to grow engagement by tapping into and forming partnerships, leveraging new platforms or tools, and sharing content with new audiences
- Support social media staff in developing new content and content ideas
- Collaborate with Development Team in creating compelling donor content, ensuring alignment with core messaging
- Support the creation and editing of Alliance blogs — working with staff, Alliance supporters, freelance writers
- Stay abreast of external developments in areas related to Decision Science and Decision Education and translate into ways to amplify our work or build our role as a thought leader
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, or related field
- 10+ years of professional Public Relations and Communications experience
- Proven track record of securing solid media placements
- Experience in media training
- Experience working with influential external supporters and partners
- Experience writing media releases, pitches, blogs, and other messaging
- General Attributes
- Actively open-minded and intellectually curious; committed to becoming well-versed about the field of Decision Education
- Strategic leader with strong execution skills; performance and target driven
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Responsible, diligent, and conscientious, with outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- High energy, emotional maturity, and integrity; gracious professionalism and strong interpersonal skills
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial attitude; ability to initiate and innovate
- High-level collaborator with the ability to work across departments and a passion for the mission of the organization
- Commitment to success in the role and the success of the organization; willingness to lean into work outside your area to support a small but growing team
- Flexible and willing to adapt to changing conditions and focus
We offer our employees a comprehensive Total Rewards package which includes: competitive compensation that is commensurate with experience, health and dental insurance that is 100% employer-paid for both the employee and their dependents, long-term disability (LTD) insurance, a 401(k) plan with a dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%, generous paid time off (PTO), equipment and supplies to work remotely, and other resources to help employees do their best work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-09