Public Relations Coordinator
Join the SCA family located along the pristine waters of the Charleston Harbor!
Working in partnership with paid and owned teammates, this position will plan and implement public relations and earned media for all channels from strategic development through measurement and reporting. This position will serve as primary media contact for the Aquarium (and spokesperson when appropriate), leveraging department subject matter experts. The secondary responsibility of this position is to assist with some paid media efforts and oversee community engagement activities on behalf of the Aquarium.
- Assist in the implementation of public relations strategies and media campaigns to ensure consistent and aggressive media efforts on local, regional, and national levels to garner cross-channel coverage
- Create and manage reporting plans in order to test and measure success of earned media initiatives and produce regular performance reports
- Manage the Aquarium’s response to requests for information, interviews, and tours from the media and public; respond to all requests within 24 hours of receipt
- Manage newsroom section of website; maintain press kit materials and provide to contacts/outlets as needed
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders to write, edit and distribute press releases, media advisories and fact sheets
- Assist in development of new story ideas to promote departmental activities and accomplishments; work closely with all departments, developing internal relationships to ensure accurate knowledge of current events
- Prepare Aquarium staff for public interviews and press events, including the preparation of relevant talking points
- Work with Director of Marketing and Senior Manager of Advertising and Community Engagement to identify local, regional and national media influencers; pitch Aquarium news and events when appropriate, conduct social listening and foster media and influencer relationships
- Assist in booking and management of earned media appearances in local and regional strategic drive markets
Paid and In-Kind Advertising:
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Manager of Advertising and Community Engagement to purchase digital, print and out-of-home advertising placements; co-manage development of advertorial content
- Work with Director of Marketing and Senior Manager of Advertising and Community Engagement to identify local, regional and national media influencers; pitch Aquarium news and events when appropriate
- Provide copy (including photos and video when appropriate) to local, regional and national advertising and publication partners to inform their audiences about South Carolina Aquarium events, promotions and special offers. (Note: includes online submittal of calendar listing information when applicable.)
- Assist in compiling PR coverage/data relevant for grant applications and reports
- Along with Senior Manager of Advertising and Community Engagement, maintain proactive channel of communication with CACVB media department; assist in securing advertorial opportunities to pique interest from targeted drive markets
- Work with the Senior Manager of Advertising & Community Engagement to oversee strategy and development of Aquarium’s presence and/or support of various communitywide initiatives
- Collaborate with community members to inform and cross-promote Aquarium events, promotions, and related information
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A people person – enjoys engaging in conversation with others
- Ability to communicate effectively with local, regional and national media representatives, photographers and vendors
- Understand mission driven work and how to convey impact through storytelling
- Education in biology or zoology advantageous
- Personal commitment to conservation and environmental issues advantageous
- Proficient in all MS Office products including: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Experience with task management software a plus
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and prioritize
- Experience using Cision, Critical Mention or Vocus is a plus
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Normal office environment with average walking, standing, bending, stooping, crouching, sitting and computer and phone tasks required. Will also works outdoors as needed. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Needed.
Diversity Statement: Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and others who identify as nonwhite, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and those with lived experience with racism and/or misogynoir are encouraged to apply for this role.
Education and Experience Required: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in English, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field Minimum of 5 years relevant experience directing innovative and successful media and public relations program Experience with animal care a plus but not required
Robust Benefits, Generous PTO, and amazing culture!
$30,700 – $51,200; commensurate with experience and/or education
How to Apply
Job posted: 2021-05-30