Public Relations & Corporate Communications Associate
The Public Relations & Corporate Communications Associate is part of the Marketing & Communications team within the Brand Communications & Public Relations unit. This position is responsible for supporting the reputation- building and awareness-raising function of Room to Read, predominately in the North America market and in other international markets as needed. The Public Relations & Corporate Communications Associate will be based in a key geographic market (NY, SF, or DC) for Room to Read awareness-raising and will report to the Director of Brand Communications & Public Relations based in New York. This position will work closely with executive leadership and the North America business development team to inform direction on communications and public relations strategy, including target audience and messaging, for the region in order to effectively support fundraising and awareness-raising goals.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Media Relations and Thought Leadership: (50%): Lead tactical efforts and contribute to strategic thinking in relationship building with local and regional North America media. Cultivate and steward relationships with journalists and press outlets across broadcast, print and online media which reach key target audiences for Room to Read. Build media lists, identify newsworthy and innovative storylines and coverage opportunities, craft pitches, and successfully secure placements to support global messaging goals and deepen Room to Read’s brand resonance in the NA market. Collaborate with communications staff in Room to Read’s countries of programmatic operations in Asia and Africa to source case studies and impact stories to support and inform press placements. Support the development of executive platforms for Room to Read’s international leadership team. Additional responsibilities include authoring/editing press releases distributed by Room to Read and its partners; drafting Q&A responses, talking points, speeches, video scripts, and thought leadership opinion editorials for executive staff including Room to Read’s CEO and leadership team; and supporting media bookings and speaking engagements during executive leadership travel within the U.S. and Canada.
- Brand Messaging, Advertising and Influencer Engagement (20%): Support the strategic messaging that informs Room to Read’s narrative and manage a suite of messaging materials for both internal and external stakeholders to ensure consistent and accurate brand identity and reputation building. Execute process and plan to update, share, and provide training on key messaging materials regularly with Room to Read worldwide staff, boards, and strategic partners that serve as spokespeople. Collaborate with program design and research, monitoring and evaluation leads to integrate program data into Room to Read’s external messaging including owned media (blog, publications, social media, digital communications, etc.) and earned media while ensuring integrity and accuracy of our impact story. Identify pro-bono advertising opportunities within North America that allow Room to Read to broaden brand awareness. Support relationships with pro-bono design and creative partners to develop messaging and artwork for global and regional Room to Read ads across print, broadcast and digital platforms. Identify, pitch and secure opportunities to partner with North American celebrities and influencers to support Room to Read’s influencer engagement strategy.
- Social Media (10%): As a member of the global social media team, contribute to content production for Room to Read’s global social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn), particularly on content related to brand reputation.
- Partnerships and Event Support (20%): Serve as PR lead and/or team member for key global and regional corporate and foundation partnerships providing tactical support on communications initiatives. Collaborate with NA team members and the Manager of Events & Experiential Marketing to support the strategy and execution of media-specific events and the achievement of PR goals for key regional fundraising events including annual galas and virtual gatherings.
- Minimum of 3-5 years related work experience, ideally in public relations or corporate communications.
- B.A. (degrees in one of the following preferred: Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, English or Literature), or relevant years of experience.
- Articulate communicator with preferred experience in working with an executive team.
- Excellent writing and communications skills, particularly around messaging, brand identity, media writing and external communications.
- Experience in public relations (in-house or agency) and media relations with proven track record of successful pitching.
- Proven ability to execute tactical implementation of communication strategies.
- Experience working closely with multimedia to tell a story (video, print, online, social media).
- Ability to think outside the box to find the unique story and contribute to story development with few resources.
- Ability to be flexible, proactive, organized, meet deadlines, and ensure accuracy.
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided
Room to Read offers a competitive pay with excellent benefits. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
Global Office – Main – San Francisco
Global Office – New York
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
How to Apply
Job posted: 2021-03-23