Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Relations Lead
The Public Relations Lead role serves Northern Trust’s Wealth Management business unit and will be based in Chicago. Northern Trust Wealth Management offers clients goals-driven financial planning, philanthropic advice, trust advisory and estate planning services, credit and private banking, family office services, and foundation and institutional outsourced CIO services. Wealth Management services are backed by innovative technology and a strong fiduciary ethos.
Experience / Knowledge/Skills
• Strong knowledge and experience in journalism/content creation, media relations, social media marketing and branding.
• Demonstrated capabilities in financial services / wealth management communications.
• Superb writing, editing and proof-reading skills for materials including media pitches, messaging documents, press releases and social media content.
• Strong interpersonal skills and experience working closely with senior executives.
• Attentiveness to detail to ensure the accuracy and quality of work.
• Understanding of crisis communications and managing reputational risk.
• Adept at managing multiple short and long-term tasks and projects, from strategy to execution to measurement.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to adapt to new assignments and deadlines.
• Proficiency in tools such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), social media and media relations tools.
The Public Relations Lead will report to the Head of Corporate Communications, and the role includes the following:
• Create media outreach plans that support Wealth Management business and strategic goals.
• Collaborate with wealth management marketing to align PR with omni-channel strategic marketing campaigns.
• Collaborate on digital content strategies on platforms including Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
• Experience using social media listening / measurement tools.
• Develop relationships with members of the media – print, digital and broadcast – who focus on wealth management, financial planning, taxes, estate planning and investing.
• Secure media interviews for spokespeople on topics that reflect Northern Trust capabilities and expertise.
• Prepare thought leaders/media spokespeople for interviews through media training and the creation of messaging and briefing documents.
• Provide media coaching and consulting to subject matter experts and executives.
• Meet with all levels throughout the organization to find compelling stories and gather information for publication. Work closely with Corporate Communications team and Wealth Management Marketing team.
• Respond to outside media requests for information as appropriate.
• Manage Media Relations team member and work with external agency.
• Create and manage effective metrics for tracking results and success, and report back regularly to manager and the business unit leadership.
Significant experience in journalism, corporate communications, and/or agency media relations, with wealth management / financial services experience strongly preferred.
A college or university degree in public relations, communications, journalism, or equivalent experience is required with 10+ years work experience.
Solid understanding of media relations / social media tools, techniques and best practices.
Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage projects, contribute to larger group efforts, and adapt to new assignments and deadlines.
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
•Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
•Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN’S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-12-21