Public Relations Manager
Brand & Marketing
At Make-A-Wish® America, we are more than a great place to work — our work is life-changing. Together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. Forty years ago, the inspiration for Make-A-Wish began with one little boy’s wish to be a police officer. Since then, Make-A-Wish has granted more than 500,000 wishes for children with critical illnesses in nearly 50 countries worldwide thanks to our volunteers, donors, staff and supporters. Make-A-Wish America serves as the national headquarters for Make-A-Wish and its 59 chapters located throughout the U.S. and its territories.
The National PR Team oversees the media relations efforts for national internal and external fundraising initiatives and campaigns in addition to providing communications strategy, resources and support to the 59 chapters nationwide. The National PR Team is looking to find an innovative, team-oriented and results-driven person to help build relevance and consideration through media coverage for one of the nation’s most loved non-profit brands.
The Public Relations Manager will take on an integral and influential role in carrying out public relations strategy in the form of pitching stories of national significance, building relationships with targeted media, sourcing stories for national media inquiries and drafting press materials. As a member of the National PR Team, the manager should be someone who can remain confident and composed while working with a variety of external stakeholders including national media, corporate sponsors and celebrities/influencers. Equally as important, the manager should be ready and able to provide counsel and expertise in regards to how public relations can support the work being done by the internal fundraising and campaigns teams at the national and chapter level.
WHERE YOU COME IN
- Serve as the Make-A-Wish PR liaison for national corporate sponsors
- Align publicity opportunities with revenue-driving initiatives (i.e. peer-to-peer programs, charity streams, drive periods)
- Secure and manage interview opportunities for C-suite executives
- Foster current media relationships and build new relationships within key, untapped markets (ability to speak Spanish a plus, but not required)
- Deliver best-in-class customer service and turnkey publicity materials to assist priority media outlets in storytelling
- Partner with chapter colleagues as a trusted advisor in finding ways to tie local stories to local or national revenue-generating initiatives
- Leverage monitoring tools such as Meltwater to develop analytics reports and media coverage recaps
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, broadcast, public relations, marketing, communications or a related field
- 5+ years of direct experience in public relations, communications or journalism
- A track record of pitching and securing significant media coverage (with examples to prove it)
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- An ability to balance timeliness and accuracy while managing a variety of tasks
- A flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of today’s constantly shifting news cycle
- An instinct for identifying and crafting compelling stories for media outlets and their audiences
Make-A-Wish® America offers employment opportunities, except in the following states: AL, AR, CT, DE, D.C., HI, KY, LA, MA, MI, MT, NE, NM, ND, PA, and WY. These states are subject to change.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive compensation with annual incentive potential
- Comprehensive benefit package: Medical, Vision, Dental, Wellness*
- Health and Flexible Spending Account Options
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability and Life Insurance*
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- 15 PTO days, 10 Sick Days, 11 Paid Holidays, 2 Volunteer Days, and 2 Personal Days accrued annually
- Maternity Leave
- Employee Awards and Recognition Programs
- Individual and Leadership Development
- Discounts and special offers for theme parks, events, hotels, concerts, and movie tickets
*Monthly premiums paid for the employee for medical (HSA qualified plan), vision, dental, and short/long term disability.
We are more than a great place to work – our work is life changing. We are an inclusive and diverse group of people who, through a mosaic of backgrounds, thoughts, and experiences are united in purposeful work. We are fueled and guided by our values – values that are represented in the inspired people we work with and the transformational work we do every day.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-07