Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Relations Manager
Keen to become part of a truly global, collaborative team of professionals? Your journey begins here.
This Public Relations Manager position will have a primary focus on the firm’s largest practice group – Corporate & Finance. This includes a number of different practice areas including M&A, Capital Markets, Private Equity. The role will also focus on profile for a number of our Americas office, in particular the profile for the Washington D.C. office in the D.C. market, one of the firm’s headquarters. They will also take responsibility for PR for a couple of our key sectors in the U.S. – Life Sciences & Healthcare, and Sports, Media & Entertainment.
This position is in the global PR team, which operates as a single team, and is part of the global Corporate Communications team, which is part of the global Marketing & Business Development (M&BD) team. The direct reporting line for the role is to the Americas Public Relations Senior Manager, who is based in New York and who in turn reports to the Head of Communications. The PR Manager will have some support from the firm’s PR Coordinator, also based in Washington, and our PR Specialist based in Louisville, Kentucky. The U.S. PR team also has a significant amount of support from a PR agency.
Hogan Lovells is a leading global law firm. Our distinctive market position is founded on the exceptional breadth of our practice, on deep industry knowledge, and on our ‘one team’ worldwide approach. Our 2,600 lawyers work together with clients to solve the toughest legal issues in major industries and commercial centers around the world. Whether they are expanding into new markets, considering capital from new sources, or dealing with increasingly complex regulation or disputes, we help them stay on top of risks and opportunities, operating at the intersection of business and government.
Our people are the key to our success, and that is why we recruit and retain the most talented individuals in all parts of our firm.
- Develop the profile of the Corporate & Finance practice – this includes M&A, Private Equity, Capital Markets, Real Estate, REITs, Tax and Pensions. The firm is known in the market for some of the largest deals and a reasonable portion of the Manager’s time will be focused on drafting deals releases and getting profile for our transactions team.
- Develop the profile of the firm’s Washington D.C. office, with local D.C. press and stakeholders.
- Take responsibility for profile raising for a number of our key sectors in the U.S. – Life Sciences & Healthcare, and Sports, Media & Entertainment.
- Develop the profile of a number of our other offices in the Americas – we have 14 offices in the U.S, and the PR team each take responsibility for building a relationship with different offices.
- Take responsibility for profile raising for the firm’s Corporate & Finance practice, Washington D.C. office, Life Sciences & Healthcare and Sports, Media & Entertainment sectors, and a couple of other Americas offices (e.g. Northern Virginia, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Denver)
- Work closely with M&BD colleagues in relevant practice groups/sectors and around the world on developing and supporting profile raising.
- Support the firm’s lateral hire announcements, particularly for Corporate & Finance in the U.S.
- Support other firmwide announcements e.g. promotions, financial results, etc – these larger communications projects are shared amongst the global PR team.
- Build strong relationships with key internal stakeholders – partners, MBD team, management, People team, Knowledge team, etc.
- Demonstrate strong relationships with local, national, and trade press, and implement a media contacts program for relevant practices/sectors – help them and other spokespeople build and maintain relationships, and prepare them for interviews.
- Identify potential news, topics, and comment opportunities. Responsible for driving the quantity and quality of media coverage for the firm and the region.
- Draft and distribute briefing notes and press releases, set up journalist round tables and briefings, and commission articles (and write/edit articles when required).
- Work with other M&BD colleagues in managing the quality of and preparing submissions for awards entries – these are mostly managed by our PR Specialist in Louisville but the PR Manager will be involved in sometimes reviewing entries or coordinating ideas for entry.
- Act as an ambassador of the firm, and of the communications team, both internally and externally.
- Develop, contribute to, and oversee production of marketing communications materials relevant to PR activities both regionally and industry-focused.
- Work alongside other members of the M&BD team to monitor competitor activity and brief stakeholders on profile raising activities of competitors.
- Report on PR activity to practice area heads, M&BD team, and Americas Public Relations Senior Manager.
- Coordinate with the Americas Public Relations Senior Manager and PR Coordinator in Washington on PR agency support – including supporting the agency with identify key topics, partners to work with, target publications, setting them KPIs, and ensuring we have high quality and regular reporting.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Educate the partnership in media relations best practice and deliver in-house media relations training to lawyers as and when required.
- Deputize for the Americas Public Relations Senior Manager when required.
- All members of the firm are encouraged to participate in our Global Citizenship program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 4-5 years of public relations experience required.
- Law firm experience a bonus. PR agency and journalism background a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent relationships with relevant journalists.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion.
- Proactive approach to media relations, utilizing strategy, planning, and execution skills.
- Proven sound judgment for media relations issues.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision.
- Effective interpersonal and team working skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Understanding of legal and business concepts or the ability to learn them quickly.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- BA or BS in a related field is helpful.
- Master’s degree a plus.
Core Hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Must be flexible to work additional hours.
This job description sets forth the authorities and responsibilities of this position and may be changed from time to time as shall be determined.
Hogan Lovells is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by law.
Hogan Lovells is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information or protected Veteran status.
HLUS requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or receive a legally required exemption from HLUS, as a condition of employment. HLUS will ask candidates to verify their vaccination status only after a conditional offer of employment is made. Applicants should not provide information about their vaccination status or need for exemption prior to receiving a conditional offer of employment from HLUS.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-21