Public Relations/Media Affairs Coordinator
The Trust for Public Land is nationally recognized as the leader in the parks for people movement and the nonprofit of choice of philanthropists who want a healthier, more equitable society. We are sought for our thought leadership and the go-to partner for the tangible impact we have in communities across the country. The PR/Media Affairs Coordinator works to advance The Trust for Public Land’s public profile through our work, brand, expertise, and data. The person in this position will be responsible for drafting press releases and collaborating with internal and external partners on public relations efforts. They will be responsible for pitching to regional media, creating and maintaining press lists, and media metrics. The position will be part of a fast-moving, effective, and collaborative three-person public relations team which supports staff across the country.
Application should include cover letter, resume, and 2 – 3 examples of relevant work
50%: Coordination, collateral creation and research: Work closely with field offices across the country and the PR team to coordinate opportunities, conduct research, draft and review press releases for media stories and announcements. Draft social media copy related to project closings and park openings.
25%: Media outreach: Pitch releases and get regional media coverage of Trust for Public Land work and accomplishments. Elevate the thought leadership of Trust for Public Land state leadership
25% Press list and metrics management: Manage, create, and update press contact lists, track media placements and develop and update a dashboard of media metrics.
- Interest in environmental justice and the importance of access to the outdoors for just and livable communities
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of their work
- Collaborative thinker who brings new ideas to the table and loves a good brainstorm and is comfortable with trying new things
- Ability to quickly synthesize information about new topics.
- Proven track record of strong oral and written communications skills.
- Likes teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day.
- Ability to plan and manage under a tight deadline.
- Ability to multitask and adjust in fast-paced and high-pressure situations.
Essential Skills and Experience
- 1-2 years of PR or media relations experience, preferably in the nonprofit or public sector.
- Degree in communications, writing or public relations; or has had a similar internship
- Exceptional writing abilities and capacity to frame The Trust for Public Land’s work in a clear and compelling way to external audiences.
- Experience building media lists using Meltwater or a similar platform
- Comprehensive understanding of AP style and grammar for copy editing.
- Experience in creating social media content.
- Experience securing impactful press placements, thinking outside the box to create media moments, and identifying elements with viral potential.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse partners, and ability to negotiate, unify and prioritize among competing interests.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-19