Public Relations Senior Specialist
Are you passionate about public relations? Does generating press coverage excite you? Come be a part of a smart and curious team of driven communications professionals passionate about telling impactful, data-driven stories that are empowering people and businesses to create better workplaces around the world!
The Communications Department is responsible for informing all of SHRM’s audiences on SHRM’s thought leadership, mission and activities in a positive, consistent and credible manner. It is also responsible for publicly protecting and defending SHRM’s reputation and brand. Typically, this means working directly with news organizations and journalists responsible for producing the news and features in mass media and utilizing social media to exchange information about SHRM directly with the press, key audiences and influencers. It encompasses Brand, Media Relations, Social Media Engagement and Corporate Communications. The collective team engages in a variety of work related to managing SHRM’s reputation and brand image among SHRM’s members as well as elevating the reputation to business leaders and policy makers on a broader, global scale.
Under the direction of the Director, Corporate Communications, the Public Relations Senior Specialist collaborates in telling the stories of a growing and innovative global professional society by participating in the day-to-day operation of the Media Affairs team. The Senior Specialist also contributes to public relations initiatives and supports the goals and business objectives of the association and the Public Affairs Department.
- Collaborates in developing creative, proactive strategies to communicate the Society’s mission of advancing the human resource profession and serving the professional, as well as to promote SHRM and the Society’s products, research, events, etc. through various media.
- Collaborates in proactively seeking media coverage and responding to a heavy volume of inquiries by the trade and national media.
- Collaborates in preparing talking points and preparing SHRM staff and executives for media interviews.
- Establishes and maintains ongoing productive relationships with members of the media.
- Working with Director, Corporate Communications, conceptualizes, develops and promotes articles and other content for placement in HR, business and trade publications.
- Anticipates need for and prepares press releases and multimedia communications for SHRM, as well as editorials for placement in print and online publications.
- Promotes the Society’s news and brand and communicates with media through social media (such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Instagram and Wikipedia); collaborates with a separate social media team.
- Promotes SHRM’s Annual Conference and smaller conferences; conducts reporter outreach and coordinates media presence at the conferences; coordinates press room logistics; and travels to several conferences annually to manage press on-site.
- Monitors press coverage of the Society, oversees department’s media-monitoring software and coordinates regular production of reports about coverage.
- Edits and distributes twice-weekly executive news summary.
- Collaborates in maintaining and improving online pressroom.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, English or a related field.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years of experience in a media relations or public relations capacity. Experience with a media monitoring database.
- Ability to develop productive relationships with the media.
- Ability to appropriately and positively represent SHRM to external constituents.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills, judgment, ability to balance multiple priorities with attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Fully computer literate, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite. Strong written and oral communications skills, demonstrated during an interview and through writing samples.
- Demonstrated strong customer-service orientation and team-work approach.
Let us know if you also have:
- Public Relations agency experience or work on a media campaign with proven results.
- Additional years of related experience desirable.
- HTML and Web skills helpful.
Regularly required to sit; talk and hear, use hands to type, file, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. Occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Light lifting is required. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force to constantly move objects.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is regularly performed in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. This job requires occasional travel 0-10%.
Learn more here
The Society for Human Resource Management is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran).
Job posted: 2020-06-01