Public Relations Specialist
Job Title: Public Relations Specialist
Waterkeeper Alliance, an international environmental organization, seeks a dynamic, goal-oriented professional to strengthen and amplify the Waterkeeper movement through media generation and public relations.
Location: New York, NY, with some travel required. Temporarily remote due to COVID-19.
Organizational Overview: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global movement uniting more than 350 Waterkeeper groups around the world, focusing citizen action on issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. The Waterkeeper movement patrols and protects over 2.75 million square miles of rivers, lakes, and coastlines in the Americas, Europe, Australia, Asia, and Africa. For more information, please visit: www.waterkeeper.org
The Public Relations Specialist is a dynamic, goal-oriented professional within the Communications and Marketing Department that strengthens and amplifies the Waterkeeper movement through media generation and public relations. The Public Relations Specialist reports directly to the Communications and Marketing Director.
The Public Relations Specialist is responsible for developing clear messaging and winning pitch strategies in support of Waterkeeper Alliance’s strategic goals. Working with local Waterkeeper groups, lawyers, and other colleagues, the Public Relations Specialist will generate media on topics such as political attacks on clean water, legal victories, grassroots accomplishments, and more.
- Develop and pitch successful stories to top-tier domestic and global media outlets daily to advance the vision and mission of the organization;
- Build strong relationships with journalists that cover our issues, including but not limited to the environment, water, public health, climate change, the economy, environmental justice, and politics;
- Promote senior leadership through speaking opportunities and thought leadership strategies;
- Promote Waterkeeper groups as experts on issues relating to clean water;
- Write, produce, and distribute all press releases, official statements, op-eds, image galleries, talking points, and other materials for media use;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all press inquiries and coordinate requests and responses;
- Track, analyze, and report on media coverage to monitor the effectiveness of communications outreach;
- Monitor and identify media trends and opportunities to ensure all communications are innovative and newsworthy;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to identify communications opportunities that advance strategic goals and brand awareness;
- Engage in other duties assigned by the Communications and Marketing Director.
- At least 4 years of professional public relations experience. Agency or nonprofit experience preferred;
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience;
- Exceptional writing with an ability to translate complex or scientific topics into compelling messaging targeting a variety of audiences;
- Record of top-tier international print and broadcast media placement;
- Experience working with senior executives and partners in legal, government, or nonprofit sectors preferred; knowledge of global environmental issues a plus;
- Ability to take initiative and work efficiently to complete tasks independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to solve problems, work under pressure, and maintain quality of detailed work while meeting deadlines;
- Excellent multitasking skills, including an ability to work on multiple stories at a time;
- Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness and attention to detail;
- Empathetic, with the ability to engage with and influence a variety of stakeholders, community, and staff; able to anticipate unique needs of different audiences
- A network, relationship, and community builder; socially confident with exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Keen understanding of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) within an organization, across initiatives, and through navigating complex interpersonal relationships;
- Ability for occasional travel and weekend work;
- Passion for Waterkeeper Alliance’s mission; and
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
Job type: Full-time
Culture & Benefits: Our staff and Waterkeepers are the heart of our mission, and we are committed to pursuing the principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) as we move forward to a more equal and empowering future as an organization. We aim to create and sustain a workforce that reflects the hundreds of global communities we strive to protect in our fight for clean water, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply to join our team!
We offer a competitive industry salary and excellent benefits, including 15 vacation days, paid parental leave (after required period of employment), work-from-home opportunities, and a healthy work-life balance to all members of our team.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications: Send resume, three (3) writing samples, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Public Relations Specialist.” No phone calls, please.
Waterkeeper Alliance is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.
Job posted: 2021-04-21