Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Relations Specialist
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is seeking a highly motivated PR Specialist to join our growing Public Relations team. Our ideal candidate is looking to further their career in Public Relations and will view this as an opportunity to learn from and work alongside highly experienced Public Relations professionals.
You will be a key part of the team responsible for increasing brand trust and credibility for Toptal. You will be the “engine” that keeps the team running smoothly while you gain valuable public relations skills and experience. Specifically, you will assist in all aspects of public relations planning and coordination, from compiling and maintaining media lists, to pitching and building relationships with reporters; from producing first drafts of written materials, such as press releases, key messages, etc., to helping prepare Toptal spokespeople for media interviews by developing briefing documents.
You will also work closely with other teams within the Marketing function, notably Business Analytics, to conduct media monitoring and track and distribute key media metrics that guide our overall media strategy; and you’ll align with our Social Media team to ensure press releases and media coverage, for example, are featured prominently on the relevant social channels.
This role will also include light administrative work, including but not limited to: managing the relationships with our major vendors, distributing press releases, updating the press room on Toptal.com, and scheduling media interviews.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Assist with all aspects of Public Relations planning and coordination.
- Responsible for compiling and maintaining media lists.
- Actively work on pitching and building relationships with reporters.
- Create first drafts of all writing samples (i.e. press releases, key messages, etc.).
- Partner cross-functionally within the broader Marketing team to ensure alignment across all teams.
- Administratively responsible for managing the relationships with major vendors, distributing press releases, updating the press room on Toptal.com, and scheduling media interviews.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow the Public Relations team to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Understand the fundamentals of Toptal’s Public Relations, Communications, and Publications operations.
- Gain an understanding of the assets, themes, and messages available to promote externally.
In the first month, expect to:
- Go through deeper onboardings in key areas of the company where Public Relations is of strategic importance, including beginning to participate in real work with the associated team leads and individual contributors.
- Acquire practical working knowledge of our tools – e.g., Cision, PR Newswire, etc.
- Learn more about Toptal’s approach to media analytics and measurement.
- Update media and influencer lists as needed.
- Draft briefing materials and schedule media interviews.
- Distribute press releases as needed.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Produce first drafts of press releases and/or pitches for review by a senior member of the team.
- Monitor the media for potential story opportunities, reporters and make recommendations for follow-up.
- Coordinate with the Business Analytics team to produce and distribute regular media monitoring and analytics.
- Participate in and contribute to Toptal’s pitch ideation and development process.
- 3-5 years of experience in public relations and media relations with an insatiable appetite for news and current events.
- Excellent knowledge of public relations best practices, brand management, and media strategies.
- Strong written communication skills and an ability to quickly distill complex topics into clear, concise press releases, pitches, etc.
- Experience monitoring media coverage and compiling daily/weekly coverage reports, as well as insights based on those reports, to distribute to the executive leadership team.
- Familiarity with Cision or similar tools to build and maintain media/influencer lists.
- Top-notch project management skills with an eye toward new approaches or new ways to improve existing processes.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced, high-performing environment.
- As part of a fully remote company, must be self-motivating with a focus on producing high caliber, zero-defect work.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Must be highly efficient and results-driven.
- Proactive in all aspects of work and communication to immediate team members and the broader marketing function.
- Open to receiving and applying feedback and constructive criticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
For Toptal Use Only: #LI-MR2 #midwest #ussouth #northeast #LI-REMOTE
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-12-21