Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Relations Specialist
San Jose, CA
Bill.com, together with its wholly owned subsidiaries Divvy and Invoice2go, is focused on being the one stop shop that simplifies, digitizes, and automates complex financial operations for small and midsize businesses. Customers use the platform to manage end-to-end financial workflows and to process payments. The AI-enabled, financial software platform creates connections between businesses and their suppliers and clients. It helps manage cash inflows and outflow. The company partners with several of the largest U.S. financial institutions, the majority of the top 100 U.S. accounting firms, and popular accounting software providers. Bill.com has its headquarters in San Jose, California with offices in Houston, Texas, Draper, Utah, and Sydney, Australia.
Bill.com is seeking a passionate, creative, dedicated and detail-oriented Public Relations Specialist to join our growing corporate marketing team. As the Public Relations Specialist, you will report into the Head of Corporate Communications, working hand-in-hand with our public relations agencies, social media agencies and the broader marketing team. If you’re craving a creative communications role at a high-growth and fast-paced company, then read on.
This position will play an integral role in supporting external-facing communications, including the opportunity to craft social media content, digital campaigns, media relations, and thought leadership development. You will help Bill.com cement its position as a world-class all-in-one financial operations platform for SMBs.
You must be a relationship-builder who creates strong connections internally among key stakeholders and teammates, and externally with media, influencers, partners and agencies.
Monitor company earned media coverage and relevant competitor newsIdentify industry trends to propose media opportunities to increase visibility and thought leadership
Own report tracking, coverage reports and monthly/quarterly metrics that communicate out the value of communications effortsInitiate drafting of core communications materials including press releases, pitches, fact sheets, media briefing documents and more
Support the corporate marketing team’s social media monitoring of the Bill.com brand.
The ability to bring creative ideas to said monitoring on both a proactive and reactive level, ultimately strengthening customers’ connection to our brand.
Help PR agencies to secure high-profile coverage in print, broadcast, and online outlets within the business, technology, finance, banking and accounting sectorsIdentify strategies to engage with national media outlets and reporters; develop long-lasting relationships
Support regular updates to the website, internal Wiki, corporate fact sheet, and media kit
Monitor and analyze media campaigns to determine success and if goals were hit; suggest methods to improve going forward
Research conferences, events, and speaking engagements to suggest media opportunities
Proactive in supporting quarterly and ongoing goals for the marketing team, which are closely aligned with the company’s overarching business goals.
Professional Experience/Background to be successful in this role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications / Public Relations / Marketing or equivalent practical experience.
- 2-3 years of experience in public relations or communications.
- Interest or experience in financial technology, SaaS, B2B or B2B2C
- An understanding of the social media landscape
Competencies (Attributes needed to be successful in this role):
- An excellent communicator – both written and verbal
- Finger on the pulse of ongoing news cycles
- Proactive attitude with a low-ego, kind and empathetic nature
- Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Great time-management and ability to work under pressureAdaptability: can quickly shift gears mid-flight + can adapt to new direction
- Superb project management skills
- Collaborative team player with the ability to collaborate cross-functionally across teams within the company, in addition to external agencies
Expected Outcomes First 90 days
- In The First Week, Expect To
- Onboard and integrate into Bill.com
- Rapidly begin learning about Bill.com’s history, culture, values and vision.
- Shadow the Head of Corporate Communications to learn the core responsibilities and expectations of the job.
- Understand the fundamentals of Bill.com’s Communications/Public Relations and Corporate Marketing functions.
- Gain an understanding of the assets, themes, and messages available to promote externally.
- In The First Month, Expect To
- Go through deeper onboardings in key areas of the company where Corporate Communications and Public Relations is of strategic importance, including beginning to participate in real work the Head of Corporate Communications and Corporate Marketing team leads.
- Acquire practical working knowledge of our tools and tracking metrics – e.g., Cision, Businesswire, Google Alerts, Onclusive, Sprout Social, etc.
- Learn more about Bill.com’s approach to social media channelsLearn more about Bill.com’s media analytics and measurement.
- Update media and influencer lists as needed.
- Update calendars, schedules, metrics and other communications’ tracking.
- Actively participate on team calls and proactively contribute to campaigns, content creation, ideation/brainstorms.
- In The First Three Months, Expect To
- Produce first drafts of press releases, pitches, blogs and other content pieces for review by a senior member of the team.
- Monitor the media for potential story opportunities, follow key reporters and make recommendations for follow-up.
- Lead on weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting efforts.
- Consistently update all corporate marketing-related materials: internal Wiki, Corporate Fact Sheet, and others.
- Participate in and contribute to Bill.com’s pitch ideation and development process, pitch story ideas, schedule media interviews and draft briefing materials.
Bill.com is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.
● Humble – No ego
● Fun – Celebrate the moments
● Authentic – We are who we are
● Passionate – Love what you do
● Dedicated – To each other and the customer
Job posted: 2021-12-21