Public Relations Strategist
RepresentUs is the nation’s leading right-left anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to secure crucial victories that are defending our Republic and fixing America’s corrupt political system.
But what it means for you, potential coworker, is that you feel what we feel when you wake up every day: a strong sense of purpose that binds you to the spirit of this nation, and an overwhelming sense that you should do something about it. And you want to work with people who feel the same.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We’re looking for enthusiastic new minds to help us grow, move faster, and achieve more. We believe our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
In 2018, we helped pass 23 anti-corruption measures—a historic year for the movement.
We’re headquartered in Northampton, MA and also have staff around the country. Come win with us!
About The Role
Our Public Relations Strategist will write attention-grabbing press releases and creative pitches, as well as collaborate on marketing campaigns and events. You will perform administrative tasks like updating our website’s media section and sending out press releases. You will research media stories and trends in our issue space and build relationships with journalists. You will draft talking points and participate in light policy research. You will occasionally lead special projects. You have worked with political campaigns or organizations, government, a PR agency, or in the field of journalism.
Location is flexible, and we currently allow staff to work from home during COVID-19 for safety.
What you’ll be doing
- Pitch relevant journalists with news hooks and timely campaign needs;
- Maintain all internal databases and press lists as needed;
- Write press releases and op-eds;
- Research media stories in our issue space;
- Develop relationships with reporters;
- Write and research content, such as blog posts and white papers;
- Work with PR vendors;
- Update website with latest press releases and media hits;
- Support events.
Qualifications & Skills
- At least three years of communications experience;
- At least three years in a position with direct press relations;
- Demonstrated experience securing national press coverage;
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills;
- Experience writing press releases and working with press;
- Creativity and storytelling ability;
- Previous work for a political organization, campaign or nonprofit preferred;
- Experience training spokespeople for interviews with the press;
- Experience writing for a wide variety of audiences;
- Experience writing talking points;
- Experience with WordPress, ActionKit or other CMS platform is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, a health reimbursement account, wellness perks, a dependent care account, a health concierge benefit, a $1,500 professional development stipend, and a retirement benefit. Plus disability and life insurance.
Oh, and we have this wild idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time.
The annual salary range for the Public Relations Strategist position is $45,000-$67,000K.
Please be sure to attach all requested materials.
No phone calls, please.
Job posted: 2021-01-27