Public Relations Strategist
POSITION: Public Relations Strategist / Grade PW5 (Job #20-21)
Public Relations Department
Location: Washington, DC
Supervisor: Jennifer Schuler
HOURS: Monday – Friday
Additional hours as needed
TRAVEL: Approximately 10 days per year
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The public relations strategist is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to promote the AAFP brand and the specialty of family medicine to key media audiences with a strong focus on promoting the AAFP’s public affairs and advocacy efforts. The strategist serves as an internal subject matter expert on public relations best practices and provides recommendations based on timing, topic and strategic priorities.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and implement public and media relations plans that support AAFP’s strategic and operational priorities, with a focus on public affairs and advocacy priorities.
- Develop public and media relations plan components, including, but not limited to, press releases, public statements, media pitching/reporter briefings, press kits, satellite/radio media tours, press events, op-eds or letters to the editor, public speaking engagements, and social media.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with key journalists that can help further the AAFP brand, advocacy efforts, and specialty of family medicine. This includes:
- Triage and respond to media queries immediately.
- Provide and help cultivate original story ideas tied to AAFP strategic priorities and journalists’ specific areas of interest.
- Provide multiple AAFP and independently sourced resources to lend credibility and complexity to a potential media placement.
- Provide ongoing strategic communications counsel to AAFP division partners, executive management team, board of directors and other spokespeople on matters pertaining to reputation management, positioning, messaging to national media, strategic partnerships etc.
- Ensure spokespeople are prepared for interviews and provide media training, as appropriate.
- Serve as project manager for AAFP public relations campaigns and efforts with collaborative partners. For campaigns involving a public relations agency, this also includes day-to-day management and oversight of the agency’s efforts.
- Manage social media efforts that further the AAFP’s advocacy agenda.
- Other duties, as assigned.
This position requires education beyond a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in public relations, journalism, English, and/or communications, plus at least six years related work experience. Must have extensive knowledge of public relations practices, and the ability to be effective and comfortable communicating with diverse groups, both public and professional. National media relations, national campaign planning and execution, and specialized knowledge in strategic communication management required. This position requires a proven track record of working successfully with print, broadcast and online media; excellent written and verbal communications skills; aptitude for detail and accuracy; working independently and in teams; being highly organized; having a professional demeanor; and possessing strong computer skills. Knowledge of national, legislative health care issues and publications is a plus.
Internal candidates: To express interest in this position, please apply online through the Workday employee portal.
External candidates: To express interest in this position, please apply https://aafp.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/AAFP_Careers
Minorities are encouraged to apply. We thank all respondents for their interest in AAFP.
Helping Family Physicians Advance Health
Job posted: 2021-04-18