Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Public Relations Strategist
American Century Investments® is a leading global asset manager focused on delivering investment results and building long-term client relationships while supporting research that can improve human health and save lives. Founded in 1958, the firm’s 1,400 employees serve financial professionals, institutions, corporations and individual investors, offering a wide range of investment strategies across a variety of investment disciplines.
We are committed to providing institutional-quality, actively managed solutions with a performance-centered mindset. Our expertise spans global growth equity, global value equity, disciplined equity, multi-asset strategies, global fixed income, alternatives and ETFs.
Privately controlled and independent, we focus solely on investment management. This empowers us to align our decisions with client expectations and concentrate on their long-term money management needs.
Our culture of winning behaviors exemplifies our dedication to clients every single day. Delivering investment results enables us to distribute over 40% of our dividends—more than $1.8 billion — to the Stowers Institute for Medical Research, a 500-person, non-profit basic biomedical research organization with a controlling interest in American Century Investments. Our dividend payments provide ongoing financial support for the Institute’s work of uncovering the causes, treatments and prevention of life-threatening diseases, like cancer.
For more information, please visit americancentury.com.
We are looking for a Public Relations Strategist to put their expert media relations skills to work shaping and sharing American Century’s story with trade, financial and consumer media. You will create and support media opportunities, securing coverage that tells our unique and inspiring story to audiences old and new.
Our story inspires our clients and attracts and motivates our employees. It’s the story of how we became a leading global asset manager by focusing on serving clients and putting them first, while making an impact on global health.
Our people are curious, creative, collaborative, adaptable and client focused. We encourage diverse perspectives, value creative problem solving and treat others with kindness.
The Public Relations Strategist is a key member of the Corporate Communications department and will have outstanding research and writing skills, able to translate complex financial information into digestible, meaningful communications for multiple audiences across a broad range of communication vehicles, including press releases, media statements and pitches, talking points, presentations, studies, infographics and more.
You will have advanced communication and presentation skills with an ability to weave a compelling narrative. In this role, you will have executive presence and the ability to confidently provide strategic counsel, ask good questions, challenge the status quo, suggest alternatives and articulate pros and cons.
You will use your outstanding interpersonal, teamwork and personal communications skills to engage key partners, coordinate across multiple organizations and track timelines, exercising their thorough project management skills with a high level of judgment and discretion. You will work independently and part of a team, handle ambiguity and fluid priorities, gain consensus through influence, change course when warranted and manage multiple and complex priorities efficiently and effectively.
Thinking strategically, analytically and holistically about American Century storytelling, you will be adept at building strategic, measurable communications plans. In addition, you will perform at a tactical level with a high level of professionalism and discretion in handling confidential information.
In this role, you will:
- Build relationships with key media.
- Message and media train spokespeople.
- Organize and support media briefings, press conferences and media tours.
- Write content promoting firm news and priorities.
- Develop and implement communications plans for product launches, marketing campaigns and firm news.
- Conduct reputation and media monitoring and reporting, including competitor analysis.
- Collaborate with American Century executives, colleagues and subject matter experts to tell American Century’s story accurately and compellingly.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or English.
- At least 10 years of proven experience working in corporate public relations or an agency.
- Validated AP Style guidelines and unwavering attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Teams.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in the financial services sector.
- Experience in the use of Cision, Factiva, Sharepoint, Workfront.
Location: Hybrid – New York Office (330 Madison Ave) or Kansas City Office (4500 Main Street)
- To ensure a safe and welcoming work environment for all employees, clients, and visitors, American Century Investments currently requires all U.S. based new hires to have submitted proof of having received the final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to the position start date unless they have obtained a reasonable accommodation.
American Century Investments is committed to complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable Equal Employment Opportunity laws and regulations. As such, American Century strives to provide a reasonable accommodation to any qualified individual under the ADA to perform essential job functions.
American Century Investments believes all individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunity and advancement opportunities without regard to race, religious creed, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age for individuals forty years of age and older, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, and any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws. ACI does not discriminate or adopt any policy that discriminates against an individual or any group of individuals on any of these bases.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-12