Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Regional Advocacy Manager (Northwest)
Position: Regional Advocacy Manager (Northwest)
Location: Remote (Oregon strongly preferred, but must be located in Northwest US)
Compassion & Choices is seeking a Regional Advocacy Manager (Northwest) to help advance our
medical outreach and education efforts across the country.
The Regional Advocacy Manager is primarily responsible for managing state teams to work on C&C
campaigns including medical aid in dying, dementia, disparities in end-of-life care, Finish Strong
initiative, and the full range of end-of-life options. This position is responsible for providing campaign
management in collaboration with the National Director of Advocacy consistent with Compassion &
Choices’ mission. This position is responsible for effectively building the capacity of local groups, run
state campaigns, ensure access, and cultivate development opportunities.
This is a full-time, remotely-located (but Oregon strongly preferred), paid position reporting to the
National Director of Advocacy. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.
We offer excellent benefits including employer-shared medical and dental insurance premiums,
employer-paid short- and long-term disability, life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance,
flexible spending account for medical and child care, commuter pre-tax benefit, eligibility to participate
in 401K with generous 5% employer match and 100% vested at time of eligibility, 11 paid holidays, 17
PTO days first year, and floating holidays.
This position will primarily be responsible for:
● Advise states on legislative campaigns and ballot strategies, along with the National Advocacy Director and
Chief Advocacy Officer, according to an annual implementation plan in targeted geographic areas.
● Coordinate the entire range of campaign activities including strategic campaign planning in assigned
priority states. Provide direct supervision and day-to-day activities, as agreed upon with the National
● Work with the National Director of Advocacy and Chief Advocacy Officer to develop and manage a budget
that achieves Compassion & Choices’ strategic priorities in assigned states. Ensure full integration of
Compassion & Choices programs/policies.
● Work on the following: legislative targeting, development of materials/collateral, grassroots activism/
recruitment, fundraising, media and lobbying while managing internal structures and processes.
● Oversee contractor and lobbyist contracts and assist them in navigating internal C&C structures, policies
● Recruit, train and manage local action teams and volunteers in campaign states, near-next states,
authorized states and assigned constituency groups to become successful campaign leaders in
collaboration with the National Volunteer Program to build broader support for the end-of-life choice
● Apply best practices to develop and implement customized, strategic technical assistance plans necessary
to support legislators, legislative staffers and key healthcare industry stakeholders (regulatory agencies,
allied organizations, academic policy experts, and other governmental and non-governmental agencies) in
both campaign and authorized states, leveraging areas of common interest to achieve our goals.
Preferred Qualifications (You will be a good fit):
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., Political Science, Public Policy, Law, Journalism) – or
equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
● Five (5) years directly related experience (or an equivalent combination of education and
experience) which includes:
○ Demonstrated knowledge of local, state and federal government activities and
structures; the ability to assess the local and state governments as they relate to
policy/advocacy issues and activities.
○ Demonstrated understanding in advocacy/public policy, community
organization/mobilization, media/communications, and grassroots advocacy tactic
development and implementation.
○ Experience working on a political or issue campaign strongly preferred.
○ Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers
● Project management skills: Ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in
varying stages of development under time constraints.
● Knowledgeable about issues of choice, ethics, health and social justice.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
How to Apply:
Email current resume and cover letter as one PDF document to Jobs@CompassionAndChoices.org. In the
subject line of your email, indicate “Last_First Name, RAMNW 07-2021”. In your cover letter, please (1)
indicate how your personal philosophy aligns with our mission, (2) provide a brief summary of your
directly related experience, and (3) provide your salary expectation (with a specific amount/range vs
Questions about the position may be directed to Jobs@compassionandchoices.org.
About Compassion & Choices
Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the
inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to
choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we
improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
Compassion & Choices is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make
up our country. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer
any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic
identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any
other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job posted: 2022-01-09