Regional Communications Coordinator
Citizen Action of New York is a statewide grassroots membership organization that fights for social, racial, economic, and environmental justice. We organize in local communities to build power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions in communities across New York to win on key issues and elect progressive candidates at the local, state and federal levels. Our member-driven organizing campaigns focus on issues at the state, local, and federal level, including ending mass incarceration, public education funding, housing, health care, money in politics and taxing the rich.
Citizen Action of New York has eight chapter offices across the state. We are currently seeking a regional communications coordinator to implement our statewide communications program with each of our regional chapters and develop staff and volunteers to be strategic communicators. This role will be a good fit for you if you’re a skilled communicator who understands the fundamentals of community organizing and deeply believe your job is to help people step into leadership and drive change in the issues that affect their lives.
- 3+ years of directly relevant experience with developing and managing strategic communications, media relations, and marketing programs
- Demonstrated experience managing communications for a nonprofit, business, political candidate, or similar—or experience creating content that resonates and engages a large audience
- Exceptional writing and copy-editing skills, as well as the ability to make complex policy proposals and concepts accessible and compelling
- Advanced understanding of how to use social media and other digital platforms for organizing
- Familiarity with the following tools strongly preferred: CRMs (ActionNetwork, EveryAction), peer to peer and broadcast SMS (Hustle, ThruText, Strive, Spoke), digital advocacy (New/Mode, Phone2Action), story collection (Soapboxx, Flipgrid)
- Experience fielding press inquiries, writing press releases and pitching stories to the media
- An eye for graphic design and experience creating impactful graphics and print materials
- Familiarity with the following tools strongly preferred: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, or Canva
- High level of organization, including experience coordinating multiple fast-paced projects at once while meeting tight deadlines
- Some supervisory experience, or experience with volunteer coordination or project management, strongly preferred
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Willingness to think big and drive forward creative solutions, and also take on routine tasks as needed
Values & Characteristics
- Commitment to Citizen Action’s mission and vision and passionate about issues of social, racial, economic and environmental justice
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve problems
- A high degree of professionalism and professional maturity
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different racial, ethnic, socio-economic, educational, religious, gender and generational backgrounds
- Organize and develop a statewide team of communications volunteers to help advance the organization’s mission and vision and win transformational policy campaigns
- Work with chapter staff and volunteers to implement Citizen Action’s statewide communications program through press outreach and digital campaigns in each of our chapters
- Provide coaching to organizers and volunteers in using communications tools and best practices to further organizational goals
- Maintain chapter editorial calendars that include press outreach and materials, email and social media content, and event planning and promotion plans
- Craft compelling digital and print content that moves people to take action
- Lead in the execution of rapid response press, digital actions and social media campaigns in our chapters
- Develop and facilitate communications skills workshops for volunteers and staff
- Manage data and tracking systems in collaboration with the data coordinator, grants manager and communications director
This position may be based remotely in New York State or in one of our seven regional offices around the state (New York City, Albany, Utica, Rochester, Buffalo, Binghamton, Kingston) and reports to the Communications Director.
Salary and benefits: The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $60,000 depending on experience. Citizen Action of New York offers a competitive full benefits package.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-23