Regional Communications Director
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian network?
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
As an employee at the American Red Cross, you could be on the front lines making a positive impact on our community. You could provide your services directly to the American public or support to the people who do. Both roles help further the mission of the Red Cross. Join our non-profit organization, where your heart and mind go to work!
The American Red Cross National Capital and Greater Chesapeake Region is seeking a Regional Communications Director to be based in our Fairfax, VA or Baltimore, MD Chapter. You must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to travel throughout the region as needed.
Due to Covid19, this position is temporary work from home. You must be in or near Fairfax, VA or Baltimore, MD and willing to travel as needed.
Serve as an important component of the American Red Cross regional team. Determine the communications and marketing functions that drive regional business objectives and results, publicize the mission of the Red Cross, support revenue generations, and educate the public about how to access Red Cross services. Work in close collaboration with the division communications director, Field Marketing, Development, Disaster Cycle Services, Service to the Armed Forces, Biomedical Services, Health and Safety, and Volunteer Services staff to provide communication and marketing support. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures and other applicable Federal, State and local regulations.
1. Strategy: In collaboration with the regional executive and division communication director, determine and execute a strategic communications plan that is aligned with enterprise-wide communications and marketing strategies, that supports service delivery and revenue generation efforts across all lines of business.
2. Media Relations and Social Engagement: Work with the Regional Executive and Division Communications Director to develop and execute determined media relations and social media strategy, including social media platform maintenance, media contact management, news release distributions, pitching, etc. Respond to local media inquiries by coordinating interviews and providing Red Cross approved information, as appropriate. May be required to serve as a Red Cross spokesperson. Train and prepare staff and volunteer spokespersons throughout the region, review support requests and develop and execute an effective communications strategy. Monitor and analyze public relations and social engagement data.
3. Public Affairs and Crisis Communications: Support regional, divisional, and potentially national, disaster public affairs activities. Provide training and guidance to regional disaster public affairs spokespersons and volunteers. May be required to serve as a spokesperson, deploy to support disaster response operations outside of home region, or may be tasked to conduct public affairs volunteer training and development across the division. Develop and implement crisis communications strategies in collaboration with regional executive and division communications director.
4. Internal Communications: Collaborate with regional executive to develop and implement internal communications strategies and initiatives.
5. Management: Ensure delivery of direct report(s) performance goals, daily activities, and manage achievement. Build volunteer engagement.
Interpret and administer policies, process, and procedures that may affect sections and subordinate units.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Affairs or related field.
Experience: Minimum 5 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Affairs or related field required.
Management Experience: 3 years of supervisory or management experience.
Skills and Abilities: Outstanding oral and written communication skills required, with proven knowledge of AP Style. Manage experienced professionals. Fully proficient in work and industry. Strong organizational, multi-tasking skills with ability to meet deadlines. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Cision/TrendKite or other media monitoring software. Experience managing professional social media accounts. Strong teamwork and collaboration required. Willingness to serve as a media spokesperson required, experience as a spokesperson preferred. Ability to work on a team.
Travel: Travel may be required 10-25%.
*Combination of candidate’s education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description’s minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The work environment will consist of moderate noise (i.e. business office with computers, phones and printers, light traffic). The employee must have the ability to work in a small cubicle and have the ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. Whether you’re a recent graduate or an experienced professional, if you share our passion for helping people, we invite you to join us – where your career is a force for good.
The American Red Cross is committed to excellence in service through diversity and inclusion. You will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. We celebrate the distinct differences that make us unique, and we foster work environments that recognize the diverse needs of our people. We need people who want to contribute their individual talents to help their neighbors locally, across the country, and around the world. As a leading humanitarian organization in the nation, the American Red Cross embeds principles of diversity and inclusion in all we do to fulfill our mission in a manner that is culturally competent and that deeply values and respects all humankind.
Job posted: 2021-05-30