Regional Communications Director
Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian network?
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
As a paid staff member, you will support our loyal Red Crossers who serve selflessly to collect lifesaving blood, respond to disasters, support military and international families and provide lifesaving training.
We are seeking a Regional Communications Director to work in our Farmington, CT office, covering the Connecticut-Rhode Island Region.
The Regional Communications Director serves as an important component of the American Red Cross Connecticut-Rhode Island Region team. The Regional Communications Director will determine the communications and marketing functions that drive regional business objectives and results, publicize the mission of the Red Cross, support revenue generations, and educate the public about how to access Red Cross services. Work in close collaboration with the division communications director, Field Marketing, Development, Disaster Cycle Services, Service to the Armed Forces, Biomedical Services (Blood Services), Health and Safety, and Volunteer Services staff to provide communication and marketing support. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
The Regional Communications Director is a critical component of the American Red Cross Connecticut and Rhode Island regional team and infrastructure. It is responsible for carrying out the communications functions at the local level of the American Red Cross. It supports the mission of the organization across all lines of service:
Leads communications planning and execution efforts in the region
Publicizes the mission of the Red Cross, supports revenue generation, and educates the public about how to access Red Cross services
Reports to the regional CEO and works in close collaboration with the division communications director, regional donor service executive and all lines of service to provide communication and pre-defined marketing support to the region
Serves as a member of the Regional Senior Leadership Team
1. Strategy: In collaboration with the regional executive and division communication director, determine and execute a strategic communications plan that is aligned with enterprise-wide communications and marketing strategies, that supports service delivery and revenue generation efforts across all lines of business.
2. Media Relations and Social Engagement: Work with regional executive and division communications director to develop and execute determined media relations and social media strategy, including social media platform maintenance, media contact management, news release distributions, pitching, etc. Respond to local media inquiries by coordinating interviews and providing Red Cross approved information, as appropriate. May be required to serve as a Red Cross spokesperson. Train and prepare staff and volunteer spokespersons throughout the region, review support requests and develop and execute an effective communications strategy. Monitor and analyze public relations and social engagement data.
3. Public Affairs and Crisis Communications: Support regional, divisional, and potentially national, disaster public affairs activities. Provide training and guidance to regional disaster public affairs spokespersons and volunteers. May be required to serve as a spokesperson, deploy to support disaster response operations outside of home region, or may be tasked to conduct public affairs volunteer training and development across the division. Develop and implement crisis communications strategies in collaboration with regional executive and division communications director.
4. Internal Communications: Collaborate with regional executive to develop and implement internal communications strategies and initiatives.
5. Management: Ensure delivery of direct report(s) performance goals, daily activities, and manage achievement. Build volunteer engagement.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Affairs or related field.
Experience: Minimum 5 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Affairs or related field required.
Management Experience: 3 years of supervisory or management experience.
Skills and Abilities: Outstanding oral and written communication skills required, with proven knowledge of AP Style. Manage experienced professionals. Fully proficient in work and industry. Strong organizational, multi-tasking skills with ability to meet deadlines. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Cision/TrendKite or other media monitoring software. Experience managing professional social media accounts. Strong teamwork and collaboration required. Willingness to serve as a media spokesperson required, experience as a spokesperson preferred. Ability to work on a team.
Travel: Travel may be required–10-25%. Valid driver’s license required.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
Job posted: 2020-10-15