Regional Director of Advocacy and Outreach — East Texas
The Raise Your Hand Texas Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with two distinct but related missions. First, we support programmatic initiatives structured to identify, pilot, and scale systemic improvements in public education. Second, we support public policy solutions that invest in our students, encourage innovation and autonomy, and improve college and workforce readiness.
The future of Texas – our economy, communities, and citizenry – depends on how well we prepare our students today. All students deserve a level playing field and equal access to a quality public education. We believe our public schools represent our greatest hope for educating and preparing all 5+ million Texas students for the future.
If you’re ready to get engaged, join us to help strengthen and improve public schools for all Texas students. Because the future of Texas is in our public schools.
Come be part of our journey!
Regional Director of Advocacy and Outreach
The Raise Your Hand Texas Foundation is seeking a full-time Regional Director of Advocacy and Outreach in the San Antonio area to be part of a statewide team that works together to build and mobilize a robust pro-public education constituency across the state. We are looking for an energetic, highly motivated mid-career individual with a passion for the goals and ideals of public education.
The ideal candidate will combine a deep optimism regarding ordinary people’s capacity to shape policy outcomes with a pragmatic political orientation. They will have a strong appetite for developing relationships with a diverse array of people, especially those inside and connected to public schools, and a demonstrated track record of motivating people to work towards a shared goal.
- Advance the Foundation’s legislative priorities and help foster a pro-public education political climate across Texas by finding, developing, and activating public education supporters in your region
- Coach Raise Your Hand Texas Foundation alumni, including public school principals and aspiring teachers, in advocacy skills and civic leadership
- Represent the Foundation and its interests in education, civic, philanthropic, and business settings
- Grow usership of the Foundation’s digital advocacy tools
- Understand key challenges and opportunities in public education in your region to help inform the Foundation’s policy knowledge and programmatic objectives
- Collaborate with organizations and individuals to support broad-based get-out-the-vote efforts and increased voter awareness of public education issues
- Develop a local network of influencers and changemakers willing to partner with us to pursue pro-public education policy at the state level
- Elevate the public profile of the Foundation in your region
- Document interactions with community members weekly in NationBuilder
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong internal motivation to work for educational equity and excellence in Texas
- 5+ years of work experience in a relevant field (education, civic engagement, advocacy nonprofit, public policy, politics, social work)
- Demonstrated ability to create and motivate teams, as well as develop relationships with people from a wide range of backgrounds (ethnic, socioeconomic, professional, educational, and generational)
- Excellent written, oral, and listening communication skills, as well as strong presentation skills
- Desire to understand public education policy and translate it to different audiences
- Ability and willingness to work in a flexible, highly independent setting
- Availability to travel* (mostly regional) and work some weekends and evenings
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, and G Suite
- Preferred: existing relationships/experience working in Texas and the desired region, fluency in Spanish, prior advocacy experience, proficiency in NationBuilder and Phone2Action
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to fulfill these requirements.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Raise Your Hand Texas offers a benefits package, including health, dental, life, and retirement.
To apply, please click the button below.
For questions regarding the position, please contact:
Libby Cohen, PhD
Director of Advocacy and Outreach
(o): 512/617-2131 (c): 214/886-9221
*Due to COVID-19, most of our team is working from home at this time. However, when it is safe to be traveling and holding in-person meetings, some travel is a feature of this role.
Job posted: 2020-07-24