Regional Director of Government Relations
The Doctors Company
East Lansing, MI/Albany, NY
· This position is responsible for providing representation before state governments in the assigned region and as needed in other areas and all state-level advocacy; serving as the key point of contact with state officials, tracking legislation and regulatory developments, and engaging internal stakeholders as needed to inform company’s public policy positions
· Assists in the development and implementation of policies and programs to ensure the company’s understanding of the impact of local, federal, and state legislation and regulation and judicial decisions
· Represents the company’s position on legislative and regulatory affairs to elected representatives, public officials, and their staffs
· Represents company interest in dealings with trade, professional, and political organizations. Builds relationships and alliances with key partners
· Supervises activity of outside counsel and consultants to achieve legislative/regulatory goals
· Works under minimal direction. Contacts include employees at all levels of the company, board members, elected and public officials and their staffs, government administrative offices, national trade and advocacy associations, and state and local medical associations
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Actively participate in the development and implementation of corporate political strategies and special projects.
2. Analyze government decisions and pending legislation, regulations, and elections.
3. Evaluate requests for contributions from candidates and political committees, and make recommendations about PAC spending. Direct activities of political committees. Attend political and charitable events.
4. Manage lobbyists and consultants.
5. Establish relationships with various organizations to develop support for legislative action, candidate issues, and grassroots activities serving the best interests of the company and its policyholders.
6. Interface with legislative and regulatory policymakers to educate them on policy issues.
7. Develop advocacy materials and communications regarding pending legislation and regulatory matters.
8. Research and prepare internal and external reports and articles.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Minimum of ten years of experience working in a state for federal government relations position, including direct lobbying experience. Experience in a multi-state region is preferable. Experience in healthcare, insurance, and liability issues is desired.
1. Senior level knowledge of legislative and political processes and the roles and functions of government branches as well as strong industry and organizational knowledge.
2. Ability to effectively coach, develop and lead a government relations effort while encouraging creativity and innovation.
3. Ability to foster and maintain collaborative relationships with legislators, legislative staff, peers, subordinates and other members of management.
4. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
5. Ability to utilize political acumen and analytical skills to provide effective representation for the company.
6. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
7. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of set variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
8. Excellent oral and written communications skills.
9. Ability to negotiate and influence others.
10. Ability to interpret government statutes, regulations, rules, and procedures.
11. Ability to travel as necessary.
Interested applicants should apply directly on our website. The link to the job posting is: https://careers.thedoctors.com/job/East-Lansing-Regional-Director-of-Government-Relations-Northeast-Region-MI-48823/565648400/
Job posted: 2019-06-20