Regional Director of Government Relations- Midwest/ Northeast Region
The Doctors Company is seeking a Regional Director of Government Relations to direct and develop strategy as well as advocate for legislative and regulatory issues.
This role must be based in the vicinities of East Lansing, MI, Columbus, OH, Albany, NY or Mechanicsburg, PA. Relocation assistance available. Telecommuting opportunity depending on location.
- This position is responsible for providing representation before state governments in the assigned region and as needed in other areas and all state-level advocacy; serving as the key point of contact with state officials, tracking legislation and regulatory developments, and engaging internal stakeholders as needed to inform company’s public policy positions
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies and programs to ensure the company’s understanding of the impact of local, federal, and state legislation and regulation and judicial decisions
- Represents the company’s position on legislative and regulatory affairs to elected representatives, public officials, and their staffs
- Represents company interest in dealings with trade, professional, and political organizations. Builds relationships and alliances with key partners
- Supervises activity of outside counsel and consultants to achieve legislative/regulatory goals
- Works under minimal direction. Contacts include employees at all levels of the company, board members, elected and public officials and their staffs, government administrative offices, national trade and advocacy associations, and state and local medical associations
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of corporate political strategies and special projects.
- Analyze government decisions and pending legislation, regulations, and elections.
- Evaluate requests for contributions from candidates and political committees, and make recommendations about PAC spending. Direct activities of political committees. Attend political and charitable events.
- Manage lobbyists and consultants.
- Establish relationships with various organizations to develop support for legislative action, candidate issues, and grassroots activities serving the best interests of the company and its policyholders.
- Interface with legislative and regulatory policymakers to educate them on policy issues.
- Develop advocacy materials and communications regarding pending legislation and regulatory matters.
- Research and prepare internal and external reports and articles.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Minimum of ten years of experience working in a state for federal government relations position, including direct lobbying experience. Experience in a multi-state region is preferable. Experience in healthcare, insurance, and liability issues is desired.
- Senior level knowledge of legislative and political processes and the roles and functions of government branches as well as strong industry and organizational knowledge.
- Ability to effectively coach, develop and lead a government relations effort while encouraging creativity and innovation.
- Ability to foster and maintain collaborative relationships with legislators, legislative staff, peers, subordinates and other members of management.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to utilize political acumen and analytical skills to provide effective representation for the company.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of set variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to negotiate and influence others.
- Ability to interpret government statutes, regulations, rules, and procedures.
- Ability to travel as necessary.
We offer competitive compensation, incentive bonus plans, outstanding career opportunities, an exceptional work environment, and an impressive benefits package, which starts with medical, family and bereavement leave; same-sex domestic partner benefits; short- and long-term disability programs; and an employee assistance program. There’s more:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Health and dependent care tax-free spending accounts with a company match
- 401(k) and Roth IRA with company match, as well as catch-up plans for both
- 10 paid vacation days, 6 paid sick days, and 6 paid personal days each calendar year (with vacation increases based on length of service)
- 10 paid holidays each calendar year
- Life and travel insurance
- Tax-free commuter benefits
- In-person and online learning opportunities
- Cross-function career opportunities
- Business casual work environment
- Time off to volunteer
- Matching donations to qualifying nonprofit organizations
- Company-sponsored participation at non-profit events
At The Doctors Company, we are fiercely committed to our mission of advancing, protecting, and rewarding the practice of good medicine. Our employees are integral to our success as the nation’s largest physician-owned medical malpractice insurer—and reflect our core values of service and professionalism. Employees also make a difference in their communities through volunteer work and donations. In the last five years, employees have worked more than 5,000 hours for local community organizations and donated more than $500,000, in conjunction with a company matching funds program.
The Doctors Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-06-19