Regional Director, State Advocacy
The Regional Director, State Advocacy at Vertex Pharmaceuticals reports to the Senior Director, State Advocacy and is responsible for supporting the company’s state advocacy strategy across several functional areas, including marketing, communications, policy, and medical affairs within their designated region. This position will work closely with the Senior Director, State Advocacy to help lead the company’s ongoing efforts to build and sustain meaningful relationships and collaborations to support the needs of patients and advance our company’s goals. The RD will be responsible for grassroots campaigns execution across disease areas.
- Working hand in hand with the Senior Director of Advocacy to help execute the company’s patient advocacy strategy including tactical implementation;
- Serve as back up for key meetings such as ACCESS;
- Support new product planning; develop & manage advocacy plans for pipeline products (ex: sickle cell disease) as they mature;
- Executing patient advocacy plans to support early stage clinical development;
- Developing and leveraging high-level relationships with patient advocacy groups at a state and local levels to achieve Vertex goals, bring value to patients and enhance the Company’s standing and reputation;
- Collaborating with Managed Markets and GAPP to ensure that policies reflect the needs of the patient community;
- Serve as an early warning to identify threats and opportunities that may impact the business and patient community;
- Leading a regional team of field-based patient advocacy consultants to deliver on business objectives while maintaining compliance with VRTX policies;
- In partnership with communications team, integrating Vertex’s public relations objectives with the patient advocacy strategy and identifying additional PR opportunities;
- Serve as liaison between the patient community and VRTX;
- Provide strategic input into the development and resource prioritization for the Company’s annual patient advocacy plan;
- Identifying and pursuing additional opportunities to advance our company’s business objectives;
- Fulfilling other duties/projects as assigned;
- Exemplifying Vertex’s core values in fulfilling these job duties, in particular the Company’s core value regarding its commitment to patients.
- Minimum of 10 years current and relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry and 5 years prior experience in patient advocacy, market access, public health policy, government relations or related field(s);
- Bachelor’s degree required. An advanced degree is highly desired;
- Demonstrated outstanding strategic planning, communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to travel up to 50%;
- Pharmaceutical sector or non-profit sector and therapeutic area experience required;
- Experience in patient advocacy, government affairs, market access or public policy
- A high level of energy and passion toward patients, science and public health;
- Working knowledge and appreciation of the complexities of the drug development process and regulatory requirements;
- Understanding of the patient and caregiver experience in rare diseases, (especially CF) to include diagnosis, treatment, and treatment options preferred;
- Knowledge of the patient advocacy community/individuals in CF strongly preferred;
- Proven teamwork and collaboration skills, with a demonstrated ability to interact and influence all levels of business;
- Detail-oriented, self-initiating, well-organized and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously;
- A desire to work in the corporate culture of a highly innovative company aimed at redefining health and transforming lives with new medicines.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.
- Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-04