Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Regional Director of State Government Relations
Ecolab, the global leader in water, hygiene and infection prevention solutions and services, is seeking a Regional Director of State Government Relations based in the Southeast US. You will be responsible for defining, leading, and furthering Ecolab’s legislative agenda and public policy initiatives through education and appropriate influencing of elected, appointed, and career government officials.
Government Relations (GR) is responsible for the strategic direction of Ecolab’s global government relations and advocacy efforts. The GR team leads on public policy matters to support the company’s global business objectives and provides advice to the senior leadership team on political and policy matters to protect the Ecolab reputation.
As Regional Director of Government Relations (Southeast) you will lead government relations strategies across the Southeastern/Southern United States, including the target states of Florida, North Carolina & Georgia. In this newly created role, you will report to the Director of State & Local Government Relations.
The ideal candidate will be drawn to the scale of Ecolab’s positive impact on public health and sustainability outcomes and the company’s presence serving over three million customer locations in 170 countries.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and execute state and local government affairs objectives in multiple states in the Southeastern United States including North Carolina, Florida & Georgia.
- Analyze and monitor state & local legislation, regulations and political activities & trends on issues impacting Ecolab or its customers. Prepare legislative/political briefing materials, policy write-ups, and State-specific 1 pagers for internal and external stakeholders.
- Effectively lead and coordinate external advocacy efforts in front of legislative bodies, regulatory agencies, and executive branch/agency decision-makers.
- Strengthen Ecolab’s brand and reputation through quickly establishing relationships with legislative leaders, Governors, and other stakeholders in assigned states. Identify public forums to position Ecolab as a thought leader (e.g., webinars, panels, and testifying on legislative/regulatory matters). Represent Ecolab at targeted conferences, conventions, task forces and meetings.
- Support Ecolab’s Public Sector Sales team through building relationships with state agency leadership, procurement officers, and targeted city/county officials. Identify potential policy or administrative requirements preventing Ecolab’s success and pursue appropriate advocacy efforts to change them.
- Build internal relationships with key Ecolab business divisions and support functions and find opportunities to advance each business division’s objectives. Execute engagement plans with policymakers for Ecolab executives and regional plant managers, including plant tours.
- Manage lobbyists in assigned states, executing off strategic plan, and reviewing their performance. Active participation in state and national trades. This includes joining relevant committees and pursue leadership positions where appropriate. Build working relationships with GR/Policy and Regulatory staff from these trades.
- Identify PAC giving strategies in assigned states, including vetting reputational risks, attending fundraisers, political meetings (e.g., DGA/RGA), and seeking counsel from lobbyists on strategic giving.
- Candidates must reside within commuting distance to the state capital in North Carolina, Florida or Georgia (candidates may be considered if they have since relocated but can demonstrate prior qualifying work experience in those dates)
- Hybrid office model where Ecolab has offices, and/or possibly working in office of industry trade and/or lobbyists
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 8 years of state/city government relations (public affairs) and/or legislative experience working in a state government/legislature, political party, state industry trade and/or a lobbying firm located in North Carolina, Florida, and/or Georgia.
- Thorough understanding of State government, including the legislative, regulatory, and political processes (budget deadlines, end of session conference committees and agency regulatory rule-making dynamics)
- Demonstrated ability to lead executive-level discussions with legislative leaders and impact state legislation, regulation, and a background in bipartisanship negotiation
- 30% travel required in key states and occasionally to St. Paul, MN (HQ) and Washington D.C.
- Master’s degree and/or bachelor’s degree specialized in public policy or political science
- Previous experience managing lobbyists and participating on industry trades
- Team oriented, creative, assertive, problem-solver, self-starter, fun and able to manage several projects in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated relationships with legislative leadership and executive branch policy-leaders in at least one of these states: North Carolina, Florida, and/or Georgia
Ecolab strives to provide comprehensive and market-competitive benefits to meet the needs of our associates and their families. Click here to see our benefits.
If you are viewing this posting on a site other than our Ecolab Career website, view our benefits at jobs.ecolab.com/working-here.
Covid-19 Vaccine Notice (Does not apply to Purolite positions)
Due to local mandates and customer requirements, applicants for certain customer-facing positions must be fully vaccinated (which in some situations requires a booster if eligible), unless a religious or medical accommodation is requested by the applicant and approved by Ecolab. You will be asked for proof of your vaccination status. All applicants should be aware that Ecolab is a federal contractor. If the federal contractor vaccine mandate is reinstated in its current form, all Ecolab employees will need to be vaccinated, or have an approved religious or medical accommodation in place.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Ecolab will provide reasonable accommodation (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with our application process upon request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require accommodation assistance in this application process, please call Ecolab Recruiting Support at (866) 841-6682 for assistance.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At Ecolab, we believe the best teams are diverse and inclusive, and we are on a journey to create a workplace where every associate can grow and achieve their best. We are committed to fair and equal treatment of associates and applicants. We recruit, hire, promote, transfer and provide opportunities for advancement on the basis of individual qualifications and job performance. In all matters affecting employment, compensation, benefits, working conditions, and opportunities for advancement, we will not discriminate against any associate or applicant for employment because of race, religion, color, creed, national origin, citizenship status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expressions, genetic information, marital status, age, disability, or status as a covered veteran.
In addition, we are committed to furthering the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) through Affirmative Action (AA). Our goal is to fully utilize minority, female, disabled and covered veteran individuals at all levels of the workforce. Ecolab is a place where you can grow your career, own your future and impact what matters.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-03