Regional Director, State & Local Government Relations – Southeast
The Regional Director, State & Local Government Relations is responsible for assisting the Senior Director with the development of state & local government relations strategy in the Southeastern United States. Developing political strategy for geographic area of responsibility; communicating with contract lobbyists, associations of which Walgreens is a member, elected officials and their staff members, interest groups and agencies to convey the company positions on issues.
* This is a remote/work-from-home role based in the Southeastern region of the U.S. Due to travel needs, proximity to a major airport in the Southeast is highly preferred – ideal location in Georgia or Florida. Territory for this role includes: North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.
- Tracks, monitors and acts on pending and enacted legislation and governmental activities based on input from appropriate internal departments, business units, lobbyists and associations.
- Proactively identifies and communicates legislative issues and trends that impact the company including preparing memoranda and briefing materials.
- Proactively identifies and communicates legislative issues to external parties similarly situated in order to build coalitions.
- Monitors hearings; builds relationships with key individuals in state & local legislatures, Administrations, Governors, and the implementation of policies that could influence the growth and competitiveness of Walgreens.
- Communicates with contract lobbyists.
- Writes memos and prepares briefing materials; drafting grassroots messaging and monitors results.
- Effectively coordinates activity to ensure that issues are communicated quickly and accurately to appropriate internal personnel.
- Leads, mentors, and manages assigned staff; Supports talent development of organization.
- Engages in political activity representing Walgreen Co. as approved by management parties.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. As America’s most loved pharmacy, health and beauty company, Walgreens purpose is to champion the health and wellbeing of every community in America. Operating more than 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving approximately 8 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with platforms bringing together physical and digital, supported by the latest technology to deliver high-quality products and services in local communities nationwide.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 10 years of experience in government as legislative or executive staff
- Knowledge of the state and local legislative process.
- Experience attending to variable legislative issues while meeting time-sensitive deadlines.
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Office 2003 or later: Word (for example: creating documents, entering and formatting text, page layouts, creating tables, and adding graphics), Excel (for example: creating worksheets, entering data, creating basic formulas, working with cells and rows) and PowerPoint (for example: creating a new presentation from a design template, adding and removing slides, entering and formatting text, adding speaker notes, and viewing presentations).
- Willing to travel up to 35% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Master’s degree
- Healthcare -related committee experience.
- Knowledge of pharmacy issues, Medicaid, Medicare and health care.
- Experience working in corporate government affairs or an association with a focus on health, retail or pharmacy.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-17