Regional Government Affairs Associate
At American Family Insurance, we’re driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R15637 Regional Government Affairs Associate (Open)
This is a remote, work from home position. The selected candidate can reside anywhere throughout the state of California. However, frequent travel to Sacramento and other travel is required.
The State Government Affairs Counsel develops and executes government affairs strategies and operational activities to influence public policy outcomes in multiple states that align to corporate strategic goals and initiatives. Develops and maintains relationships with lawmakers, regulators, and other policy makers to communicate company position on insurance, corporate, or personnel issues. Participates as a key contributor on Strategic Business Unit (SBU) teams providing accurate and thorough information about public policy developments, political environment, industry legislation, and regulatory activities impacting company operations in the state. Crafts corporate responses to public policy developments and manages the responses through their lifecycle. Represents and negotiates on behalf of the company in matters before state and local government regulators and policy makers.
Legislative / Regulatory Representation (50%)
- For assigned states, acts as the primary company liaison with state departments of insurance and other regulatory agencies to ensure regulatory compliance related to underwriting and rating standards, claims adjustment practices, tax treatment, regulatory approval of rates and products, regulatory investigations, consumer complaints, and other matters.
- Identifies, interprets, and evaluates state legislative and regulatory proposals which may have a significant impact on the company. Develops, implements, and manages government affairs strategy necessary to advance or avoid this impact.
- Acts as American Family`s lobbyist in administrative and legislative hearings on proposed legislation and regulation. Prepares comments, attends trade hearings, works with other insurance company representatives, trade associations and sponsoring agencies to achieve acceptable language, and testifies as appropriate.
- Establishes, cultivates, and strengthens relationships with those who influence public policy to create an environment favorable to corporate strategic initiatives and to maintain or advance our ability to offer our customers the products and services they need and want. These include but are not limited to lawmakers, regulators, and interest groups with similar interests.
- Manages contract lobbyists and trade association memberships in order to advance legislation favorable to corporate strategic initiatives. Collaborates with other stakeholders to advance these positions, including but not limited to the SBUs, company employees, agents, political action committees, and grassroots.
- Manages crisis management or response projects when legislative and regulatory developments require such action.
- Works closely with management to develop marketing strategies and new products in light of changing political environments.
State Government Affairs Strategy Development and Management (25%)
- Collaborates with the SBU team members to identify corporate strategic initiatives with a government affairs component.
- Develops and communicates a thorough understanding of the state`s legislative and regulatory environments and strategies needed within these environments to achieve corporate strategic initiatives.
- Provides accurate, thorough and timely information about public policy developments to corporate business clients, including the SBUs.
- Collaborates with SBU team members to develop government affairs strategies and identify action items with a government affairs component. Manages the execution of the strategy and resolution of action items within the SBU team framework. Follows up on assigned tasks and problem-solves with others when issues arise that prevent task completion. Presents the team with solutions that are most beneficial to the organization within the context of government relations.
- Identifies and communicates the likely impacts of legislative and regulatory outcomes on future business activities/results.
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family’s business environments, corporate culture, and structure to support key decision making and to influence public policy outcomes that maintain or advance our ability to achieve corporate strategic initiatives and to offer our customers the products or services they need and want.
- Represents Company and/or trade association on various industry boards and residual market mechanisms (e.g., Guaranty Funds, Auto Plans, FAIR Plans, JUA’s; Assigned Risk Plans, etc.).
- Participates with insurers, business interests and other special interest groups to develop coalitions on major issues.
- Represents Company in state and national industry trade associations to develop coordinated industry positions on legislative and regulatory issues.
Industry Relations (15%)
- Represents the company and pursues leadership opportunities on various industry boards and residual market mechanisms (e.g., Guaranty Funds, Auto Plans, FAIR Plans, JUA’s, Assigned Risk Plans, special task forces, etc.).
- Participates with insurers, business interests and other special interest groups to develop coalitions on major issues. Assumes a leadership role in such coalitions.
- Represents company in state and national industry trade associations to develop coordinated industry positions on legislative and regulatory issues.
- Upon request, assists Corporate Legal in representing the Company on litigation matters.
- Upon request, assists Corporate Legal in representing the Company on compliance issues.
- Supervises and directs retained counsel, outside lobbyists, and other consultants on an as needed basis.
Education and Political Communication (10%)
- Identifies and provides relevant information regarding legislative and regulatory proposals which may require grassroots mobilization. Acts as the point of contact and manager for respective grassroots alerts.
- Advises the state Political Action Committee (PAC) to which the incumbent is assigned. Promotes compliance with campaign finance laws. Organizes and manages regular board meetings for the PAC. Provides and coordinates political counsel to the board.
- Internally promotes PAC and grassroots involvement. Works with Political Action to maintain relationships with agents and employees for ongoing political awareness.
- Attends political fund-raising events.
- Provides legislative summaries to employees and agents on a regular basis. Compiles similar information, as needed, for publication within the company (Compass, All-American, division web site, newsletters, etc.).
- Assists the Company in developing a strong community presence by establishing and maintaining contact and communication with civic leaders and community organizations.
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated experience building working relationships with legislators and regulators.
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing legislative or regulatory strategies and initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience researching and analyzing complex legislative or regulatory issues and comprehending their application to insurer operations.
Additional Job Information:
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
- Relocation assistance is available
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-30