Regional Manager, State Policy and Advocacy (North Central Region)
Empowered by our expansive grassroots network, Komen is leading the fight for those impacted by breast cancer locally, in our states and in Washington, D.C. Komen works to identify, through a transparent and broad-based, intensive vetting and selection process, the advocacy issues that have the greatest potential impact on Komen’s mission.
The Regional Manager, State Policy and Advocacy (North Central Region) serves as subject matter expert, supporting and promoting Susan G. Komen’s public policy & advocacy initiatives related to breast cancer and public health policy in the states of Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky (the North Central Region).
Regional Managers lead the development, strategy and execution of multiple state advocacy campaigns in their assigned region, working towards achieving Komen’s Bold Goal; works to build statewide policy collaboratives; tracks, reviews and assesses state legislation; monitors state budget climate and state breast health programs; reviews, assesses, and reports on state legislative efforts; and consults with and coaches Komen Affiliates or field office staff and leadership and local volunteers on capacity building for advocacy and grassroots mobilization.
• Serve as subject matter expert for public policy and advocacy efforts in the assigned region and provide day-to-day support for state advocacy activities.
• Lead the creative vision and development for state-specific advocacy strategies in support of Komen’s Public Policy and Advocacy Priorities.
• Track, review, assess, and report on state legislation, state budget climate, state breast health programs, and state legislative efforts.
• Plan, organize and execute in-person state public policy and advocacy trainings in the assigned region (e.g. property selection, budget creation and monitoring, agenda and resource development).
• Organize public events demonstrating grassroots and organizational support (e.g. lobby days, rallies, issue briefing, grantee site visits).
• Develop messaging for written and verbal communications, including state focused action alerts and online engagement opportunities.
• Oversee recruitment, engagement and retention of local volunteers for continuous involvement in state and federal public policy and advocacy activities.
• Create partnerships and participate with other statewide policy collaboratives, coalitions, patient advocacy organizations, healthcare associations and industry partners to identify areas for collaboration.
• Represent Komen Public Policy & Advocacy externally with legislative offices, state government, stakeholders, media, donors and Affiliates.
• Promote an organizational culture that values trust, commitment to the mission, scientific integrity, and professional and organizational growth.
Minimum Experience Required
• Bachelor’s degree in public policy, public administration, political science, government affairs, communications or other relevant field and 5-7 years of directly related experience.
• Experience working with state legislatures and agencies in the assigned region.
• Proven ability to work independently and creatively, meeting strict deadlines, in a fast-paced environment.
• Solid organizational skills and intermediate-level proficiency with MS Office products.
• Proven ability to compile, analyze and interpret legislation and data.
• Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills are required for effective interaction with Affiliates, elected officials, legislative staff and other high-profile persons.
Travel required – On-Boarding trips to Dallas , annual staff meetings, team meetings and local travel within assigned region for state trainings and events, Annual Summit.
• Master’s degree in public policy, public administration, political science, government affairs, communications or another relevant field.
• Working knowledge of the breast cancer public policy and advocacy environment.
• Experience working within a federated model or for a national organization with local chapters.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-24