Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Regional Press Secretary
Reports To: Communications Director & Deputy Communications Director
Work Location: Hybrid (WFH & DC Headquarters)
Job Type: Full-Time, Salary Exempt
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
The Regional Press Secretary will develop relationships with local media in a number of targeted congressional districts and spend a significant amount of time working with individual candidates and campaigns to develop and implement aggressive, individualized earned media strategies. Daily responsibilities include pitching stories, writing press releases and talking points, and debate and interview preparation. This will include working with Congressional campaigns to establish best practices for campaign and rapid response communication in addition to training campaign staff on how to run and maintain an effective campaign communications operation. A successful candidate will be a team-player, highly organized with an eye for detail, and passionate about making sure Democrats across the house battlefield have the tools, resources, and support they need to run effective campaigns. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, two brief writing samples, and two references.
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit.
- Serving as the main point of contact for all communications-related inquiries from Congressional campaigns in a specific region of the country;
- Serving as primary on-the-record spokesperson and media contact for the DCCC across several races in their designated region with both local and national media;
- Drafting press releases, talking points, and statements for the press;
- Working directly with regional teams. especially teammates from Research and Political departments, on proactive press hits on GOP opponents, rapid response to Republican attacks, and supporting campaigns’ various communications needs
- Working with individual candidates and campaigns to develop and implement aggressive, individualized earned media strategies;
- Prepping and staffing candidates for press interviews;
- Performing other duties as needed.
- At least two cycles of campaign, official, or advocacy communications experience preferred; equivalent experience will be considered
- At least one cycle of on-the-record experience required;
- Experience with staffing a principal and media prep preferred
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills;
- Organizational skills and ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Commitment to election Democrats and dedication to winning back the House majority
- Ability to demonstrate multicultural competence – the awareness, knowledge and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant and productive ways;
- Personal and professional commitment to promoting and investing in cross-cultural skills and awareness related to individuals from broad backgrounds, races, ethnicities, religions, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability;
- Proven interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills with the ability to build relationships with Members, candidates, and staff at all levels;
Why You Should Work Here:
- We recognize and reward hard work
- A high-quality benefit package for all eligible employees that includes:
- More than 25 days of paid time off (which includes federal holidays, time off around the holidays, vacation, and sick days)
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance where 100% of the monthly premium is paid for by DCCC for employees, families, and dependents/partners.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) and Life insurance provided to all DCCC employees, paid for fully by DCCC.
- Up to 6% retirement employer match contribution
- Monthly mobile phone stipend
- Monthly metro benefits (for employees located in the DC region only)
- Gym Access (for employees located in the DC region only)
- Opportunity to contribute at a growing, dynamic national political committee working to sustain the Democratic congressional majority to advocate on issues America care about most.
- Learn, develop, and hone professional skills related to running and operating multi-dimensional political campaigns and the operating systems that support the campaigns.
- Experience working with the largest Democratic battlefield, containing numerous highly competitive campaigns in diverse districts across the nation.
- Opportunities to expand your network and engage with policy makers, political candidates, Democratic Party leaders and a diverse team of professionals and colleagues.
- Gain experience in cross-team interaction and exposure to other functions and departments within the DCCC.
- Equity and inclusion are actively integrated into decisions made at Senior Team and Department levels regarding hiring, contracting, and political strategy
- Professional Development programming dedicated to personal and professional growth beyond the 2024 election cycle)
About the DCCC:
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) is the official national Democratic campaign committee charged with electing Democrats to the U. S. House of Representatives. The DCCC recruits Democratic candidates and supports Democratic campaigns – both challengers and Democratic incumbent Members – with a variety of services including field operations, fundraising support, communications assistance, digital strategy, research support and management consulting. In addition, the DCCC’s Independent Expenditure supports these campaigns with television, radio, digital, and other voter contact efforts. The DCCC is supported by the contributions of individuals and organizations, along with Democratic Members, from throughout the country. We look for talented and hard-working professionals who are committed to electing Democrats and protecting the House majority.
Equal Opportunity/Diversity Policy:
DCCC prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), religion, age, disability, actual or perceived gender identity or expression, weight, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, economic status, genetic information, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. DCCC is an equal opportunity employer and will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment.
DCCC’s equal opportunity policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of DCCC, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a DCCC employee, as well as opportunities for vendors to contract with DCCC. DCCC is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country and the Democratic Party. Working towards the goal of a diverse DCCC, our policy extends to both staff and vendors.
Diversity Mission Statement:
The diversity mission of DCCC is for DCCC to reflect the diversity of the country, which strengthens the core mission of electing House Democrats. To that end, DCCC strives to create an inclusive environment that cultivates and supports diversity at every organizational level, including its staff, candidates, and contractors.
Job posted: 2023-09-07