Regulatory Affairs Associate
Who we are
HopSkipDrive’s mission is to create opportunity for all through mobility.Our safe, innovative youth transportation solution is used by schools, government agencies and busy families to get kids where they need to go.
We’re a company with heart
Our partnerships with agencies, nonprofits and schools ensure educational access for some of our most vulnerable populations, including youth in foster care, youth experiencing homelessness, and youth with special needs.
We understand that transportation can mean the difference between struggle and success, and our solution helps kids reach their full potential by arranging safe, dependable transportation.
We’re an awesome place to work
Our company culture has been well-recognized — HopSkipDrive has been named to Best Places to Work lists from Built in LA, Comparably, Inc. and the Los Angeles Business Journal. Comparably also named us to the Best Company for Professional Development, Best CEO and Best CEOs for Women lists. HopSkipDrive is also proud to operate as a drug-free workplace.
We’re growing rapidly
Founded by three moms as a technology solution to their own transportation challenges, we’ve grown from serving the L.A. market to serving eight states and 15 markets across the country. We continue to expand at a rapid pace, making the Inc. 5000 and Deloitte Fast-Growing Technology lists. Backed by top-tier venture capital firms, HopSkipDrive has raised $45M in funding to date and shares investors with well-known brands like Airbnb, Pinterest and Ring.
Who you are
You are looking for a challenging and rewarding experience. You are inspired by our vision and the opportunity to define a new category in an incredibly fast-growing market. You are excited to learn, grow and collaborate so we can achieve our mission of creating opportunity for all through mobility.
At HopSkipDrive, we know that challenges require different approaches, unique perspectives and new ways of thinking. We are building a team of creative problem-solvers from many different backgrounds.
As Regulatory Affairs Associate, you will be a master of regulations applying to HopSkipDrive (both transportation network company, TNC, and Department of Education regulations). Under the supervision of the Director of Regulatory Affairs & Risk Management, you will be responsible for in-market compliance with regulatory requirements, providing cross-department support to ensure all regulatory obligations are satisfied (i.e., data reporting, permit renewal, operational requirements, etc.), and engaging with regulatory contacts in each market. You will assist in expansion initiatives by researching regulatory requirements and helping to draft permit applications, and will keep you finger on the pulse of any changes to regulations in existing and expansion markets.
The Regulatory Affairs Associate will play a pivotal role in achieving HopSkipDrive’s strategic and financial objectives by ensuring that TNC and other licenses and permits are obtained in accordance with expansion timelines set by HopSkipDrive leadership. Preference is given to applicants located in Los Angeles, CA or Denver, CO, but other remote applications will be considered.
What you’ll do
The following duties will be performed under the direction of the Director of Regulatory Affairs and Risk Management:
- Become the master of applicable regulations in all existing HopSkipDrive markets, including transportation network company and Department of Education regulations
- Oversee compliance with all regulatory requirements, including but not limited to data reports, permit renewals, and driver operations requirements
- Support across HopSkipDrive teams on questions and issues related to regulatory requirements
- Build and maintain relationships with regulatory contacts in new and existing markets
- Keep finger on the pulse of regulatory changes that could impact HopSkipDrive operations and work proactively to address them
- Play a key role in HopSkipDrive expansion plans by identifying regulatory complexities in new markets in order to help inform expansion decisions
- Coordinate and draft Transportation Network Company permit applications, and manage permit applications through to the end to ensure expedient acquisition of permit approval in line with company goals
- In the case of expansion, review statutes and regulations to determine compliance implications in new markets and work across HopSkipDrive teams to develop and implement systems to ensure compliance
- Assist driver operations and market expansion teams in determining the best solutions for fingerprinting and background checks in new markets
- Achieve in-depth understanding of HopSkipDrive’ business strategy and platform to effectively identify regulatory challenges and opportunities in new markets
What we’re looking for
- An A+ player who is building a challenging and rewarding career
- Bachelor’s Degree in public policy or related field
- At least 3 years of relevant regulatory experience in transportation or other highly regulated industry
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to evaluate complex regulations and distill them down into clear and concise compliance requirements
- Have a proactive mindset with the ability to read trends, issue spot, and identify opportunities
- Diligent, highly-organized with the ability to manage a variety of complex tasks simultaneously and establish systems to effectively ensure compliance in a number of different markets
- An ability to build and manage relationships with internal and external partners effectively, and exert influence to keep a project or permit application on track
- Strong business acumen with a proven ability to create order out of chaos, distill problems and opportunities down to their essence, establish project timelines and deliver against them
- An entrepreneurial mindset; you are equally comfortable operating as an individual contributor and as a team leader, contributing to strategy as executing tactically. No strategic challenge is too big for you and no task is too small for you.
- Ability to manage a wide range of responsibilities, thrive on solving challenging problems and not afraid to challenge the status quo
- Proficiency in the full range of Google Apps and Microsoft Office Suite required. Advanced Excel and PowerPoint preferred
Who you’ll get
We want you to be an owner in our company and share in executing our vision, so every full-time employee has equity. In addition, we offer competitive market comp, BYOD technology reimbursement, unlimited vacation, FSA, medical, dental and vision, 401(k), weekly catered lunches, and an opportunity to work for a uniquely positioned, VC-backed company in a hugely attractive space with significant upside potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer
HopSkipDrive is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-20