Regulatory Affairs Counsel
This position is responsible for providing legal representation to SJI Utilities, Inc. (the “Company”), including the two primary regulated gas utility subsidiaries (South Jersey Gas Company and Elizabethtown Gas Company) for rates and regulatory affairs matters before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU), and for providing strategic input on state regulatory matters and for advocating on the Company’s behalf on all such state regulatory matters.
- Provide legal representation to the Company in rate and regulatory related matters before the NJBPU, including rate adjustment, infrastructure investment, base rate cases and other rate and regulatory filings.
- Draft Petitions, Testimony, Stipulations, Motions and other pleadings necessary for the filing and prosecution of rate and regulatory matters before the NJBPU.
- Assist with the drafting, interpretation and administration of the Company’s tariffs. Maintain a working knowledge of New Jersey regulatory laws and practices in order to provide legal advice on regulatory matters and develop related corporate strategies to respond to proposed or potential revisions to the law.
- Assist with the administration of the Company’s Affiliate Standards Compliance Plan, including providing legal advice to internal stakeholders, development and administration of employee training and assisting with regulatory audits.
- Conduct legal research necessary to formulate advice and counsel on all regulatory matters having a potential impact upon the Company.
- Develop and maintain sufficient subject-matter knowledge and expertise to identify and analyze legal risks and present clear recommendations, advice and support to business clients related to regulatory compliance.
- Attend industry seminars and conferences to develop and maintain industry knowledge and relationships with peers and regulators.
- Evaluate regulatory and public policy-related matters under consideration by the NJBPU and other regulatory or policy-making bodies for the purpose of advising management as to the impact on the Company and, where appropriate, prepare recommendations and responses.
- Oversee and manage the procurement, hiring and utilization of outside experts/counsel to assist the Company with regulatory filings and other matters.
- Oversee and manage regulatory reporting functions and requirements.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with key personnel at regulatory agencies. Monitor communications and interactions related to regulatory affairs matters involving the Company.
- Provide advice, counsel and guidance to Company officers and management regarding regulatory matters.
- Perform duties inherent in all supervisory, professional and administrative positions. Consistent with all positions in this classification, additional projects, tasks and/or duties beyond what is outlined here may be assigned as required.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school and be a member in good standing of the New Jersey bar.
- Minimum 7 years professional legal experience in a law firm, corporate legal department, or government agency, preferably with experience in utility regulation.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical and negotiation skills.
- A minimum of 1 year of leadership experience is required.
Explore the Possibilities
If you’re looking to make an impact, South Jersey Industries is the perfect place. For interns, college graduates, or experienced professionals, at South Jersey Industries we look for enthusiastic, talented professionals at every level of our enterprise. From call center representatives with excellent people skills to engineers with the vision and expertise to design tomorrow’s energy infrastructure, we know that our people fuel our success. We take pride in recruiting the best talent available for every facet of our business. Explore the possibilities. You’ll be sure to find an opportunity that piques your interest.
- We are committed to developing and implementing innovative projects that increase energy efficiency and save clients money
- We provide an opportunity to build a successful and rewarding career in a variety of functional business areas
- We foster individual talents and abilities while promoting the value of teamwork
- Our culture prepares you for a lifetime of learning and professional development
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
- Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-16