Regulatory Affairs Specialist
The Pet Care business unit of Spectrum Brands is based in St. Louis, Missouri with distribution, manufacturing and sales offices throughout the US and globe. Owners of dogs, cats, birds, small animals, fish and reptiles rely on our brands for exceptional value and trusted results. Our industry-leading brands include Tetra®, Instant Ocean®, Marineland®, 8-in-1®, Dingo®, FURminator®, Nature’s Miracle®, GloFish®, DreamBone® and SmartBones®.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Interact with Marketing, Manufacturing, R&D/NPD, Sourcing and other internal customers to compile necessary information/documentation/data to complete assigned tasks and achieve company goals
- Coordinate with R&D to obtain appropriate product chemistry, toxicology, and efficacy studies necessary for regulatory actions requiring data support, includes data review.
- Stay abreast of, and research when necessary, applicable regulations; interpret and communicate impact to Senior Regulatory Staff; assist in providing appropriate guidance/strategy to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Work closely with, develop and maintain positive relationships with regulatory authorities and various team members (departmental and cross-function).
- Manage business relationships with state regulators to proactively address issues that may arise
- Review and approve Manufacturer’s Declaration of Formulation (MDF)
- Support label development process by providing regulatory required language or evaluating marketing claims
- Review product labels for compliance with applicable regulations
- Serves as a departmental liaison with marketing, manufacturing, purchasing, R&D/NPD and other internal clients in furtherance of the following:
- Development and presentation of regulatory training modules
- Development of department SOPs related to job function
- Research State regulations and provide appropriate guidance
- Assist in developing competitive marketing intelligence related to pet foods and remedies
- Interact with industry groups and regulatory agencies on common interests (PFI, AAFCO, WBFI, etc.)
- Cover NPD meetings
- Train and advise additional Regulatory Associates to support projects as needed
- Maintain documentation and department files and databases for all completed work.
- Develop a proficiency in the company’s business management system and related applications and programs (SAP and SPX)
- Explores opportunities for application of Lean Six Sigma concepts
Education and Experience Profile
- B.S. or B.A. in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, or similar science. Exceptions can be made for candidates with a B.A. in a non-science discipline, coupled with an advanced degree or direct relevant and material experience working directly with the required regulatory agency and existing contacts with the individual states
- 2-4 years of experience in a regulated field or technical discipline
- Knowledge and understanding of Lean Six Sigma concepts
- Experience with Animal Food/Feeds and AAFCO/FDA regulations a plus
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively perform in dynamic, cross-functional groups
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Accomplished user of Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
Travel up to 10% of time may be required.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to Inclusion and Diversity. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Spectrum Brands complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Spectrum welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Priority may be given to current employees or local candidates.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-03