Regulatory and Compliance Counsel
Nelnet is a student loan servicer that’s grown into a fiber internet pioneer, real estate investor, and software provider. But that’s just the beginning. With 6,500 associates and growing, we take our business wherever superior customer experiences and ingenuity are needed.
The perks of working at Nelnet go beyond our benefits package. When you join the Nelnet team, you’re part of a community invested in the success of each individual. That support comes through in our work, as we are united by our mission of creating opportunities for people where they live, learn, and work.
Enhance the compliance and consumer protection environment through the accurate interpretation and timely implementation of complex federal and state statutes, regulations, and industry policies applicable to Nelnet’s various areas of business. Collaborate with the Chief Compliance Officer, Director, Compliance Manager, and team members to maximize efficiencies and foster an environment of exceptional consumer protection. Develop creative solutions which allow Nelnet to comply with applicable laws while also achieving its strategic objectives and competitive advantages.
– Remain current with all legal, regulatory, and policy issues pertaining to the various lines of business within Nelnet.
– Review and approve marketing materials and other publicly-distributed documents to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
– Interpret applicable laws and recommend creative solutions for Nelnet business lines to implement compliant applications of these laws
– Manage timely implementation of regulatory guidance; report the implementation status to Nelnet’s management.
– Provide internal training support on compliance, consumer protection, and other related issues as needed.
– Participate within project teams for purposes of aiding in the development of compliance procedures, forms, system specifications, and corporate policies.
– Coordinate with Legal Services and Government Relations to develop compliance positions which mitigate risk to Nelnet.
– Develop and foster relationships with applicable government and industry personnel.
– Communicate Nelnet’s compliance positions to government agencies and other regulatory authorities. Represent Nelnet in various industry associations on matters related to compliance development and standardized industry processes and forms.
Four-year degree required. Juris Doctorate degree required. Additional equivalent experience above the required minimum may substitute for the required level of education.
Knowledge of Nelnet’s internal operational systems and procedures, preferred, but not required. Additional equivalent education above the required minimum may substitute for the required level of experience.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
– Excellent written and oral communication skills with a proven ability to communicate complicated policies and procedures in an understandable manner to both internal and external clients and other industry participants.
– Ability to be assertive and resilient in ambiguous and controversial situations in order to lead, persuade, and influence others in accepting policy positions beneficial to Nelnet.
– Excellent organizational skills required; ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize appropriately.
– Excellent analytical, strategic thinking, leadership, and negotiation skills required.
– Strong interpersonal, diplomatic, judgment, time management, and presentation skills required.
– Must be able to work independently in an unstructured and dynamic environment.
– Prefer strong understanding of consumer protection laws, including, but not limited to: Regulation B (Equal Credit Opportunity Act), Regulation Z (Truth in Lending Act), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Electronic Signatures Act (E-SIGN), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), and Unfair, Deceptive or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAAP’s).
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program. Click here to learn more about our benefits: LINK.
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance. Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Nelnet Corporate Recruiting.
Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Corporate Recruiting at 402-486-5725 or email@example.com.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.
Nelnet is a leading student loan servicer – but we’re even more than that. We’re a professional services company, telecommunications innovator, and K-12 and higher education expert (and that’s just the shortlist). For over 40 years, we’ve been serving our customers and making their dreams possible.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-13