Regulatory Legal Counsel
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 325 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
PayPal is one of the leading global payments companies in the world. Initially conceived and designed for web payments, PayPal’s mobile and point of sale solutions have altered the payments landscape by blurring the lines between ecommerce and traditional brick and mortar commerce. PayPal’s innovative technology and approaches to payments, coupled with an increasingly complex and demanding legal and regulatory environment, provide robust career opportunities for attorneys motivated and driven by creative clients and a fast paced, cutting edge culture.
PayPal is seeking a high caliber and energetic attorney with experience in financial services regulation to join our Global Regulatory Legal team. The Legal Counsel will report to the Senior Director, Head of Financial Regulation, and will:
- Provide proactive legal advice relating to U.S. and non-U.S. financial industry regulations, with a particular focus on consumer protection, licensing, escheatment, and bankruptcy issues.
- Work cross-functionally to identify, analyze, and mitigate relevant issues related to the introduction of new products and services.
- Assist in the development of company policies, training, and toolkits.
- Represent PayPal’s interests and interface directly with regulatory agencies, enforcement authorities, and external counsel, as appropriate.
- Assist in regulatory due diligence on strategic acquisitions and transactions.
- Assist Government Relations in responding to relevant legislative and regulatory proposals.
The successful candidate will have the specific qualifications and experience:
- J.D. or equivalent required.
- Four or more years of experience practicing as an attorney at a regulatory agency, in-house, or at a reputable law firm, with at least two of those years focused on payments law, the FinTech space, or financial services regulatory analysis.
- Ability to provide timely, concise, and business-focused legal advice on consumer protection, licensing, escheatment, and bankruptcy laws. Additional experience with AML laws, sanctions regulations, and card network rules is a plus.
- Familiarity with, and strong interest in, PayPal, Venmo, mobile and alternative payments, emerging payments technology, and the payments industry.
- Experience interacting with relevant regulators, enforcement authorities, and auditors.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to tolerate change and ambiguity.
- Confident self-starter with strong interpersonal and organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide sound legal advice, exercise good business judgment, and work well with other attorneys, management, and cross-functional stakeholders.
- Ability and drive to take ownership of projects and tasks.
- Comfortable with gray areas and interpreting and applying the law in unsettled contexts.
- Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, with effective resolution of conflicting priorities.
- Admitted to, and in good standing with, a state bar.
We’re a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-01