Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Regulatory and Legislative Policy Analyst
The Regulatory and Legislative Policy Analyst ensures that AlexRenew is well-prepared to respond to changes in local, state, and federal directives. The Analyst supports the Organization by developing key relationships, tracking policy proposals, collecting data, and evaluating the effects of policies on AlexRenew’s operations. Successful Analysts will be able to communicate complex environmental topics to multiple audiences and will have experience building coalitions between key constituencies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Tracks and reports on federal, state, and local policy-making activities that may impact AlexRenew’s or the water sector’s priorities.
- Analyzes the impact of and advises on federal, state and local policy proposals related to environmental issues that could impact AlexRenew.
- Reviews and summarizes new research on environmental or technological advances in the water sector.
- Develops and presents recommendations to internal and external audiences.
- Interacts with policy-makers at the state and national level, requests meetings, and coordinates the preparation for successful discussions.
- Develops strong relationships with peers at water organizations and other agencies, collaborates effectively with others on messaging and data sharing.
- Assists in the coordination and preparation of proposals, issue papers, responses to inquiries, and fact presentations.
- Actively promotes safe behaviors and health awareness at all times in the execution of daily tasks.
- Other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the experience, education, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Drive – serving our city and our water world with our mastery and purpose of mission. Ability to be proactive; improve systems, procedures and policies.
- Integrity and Ethics – always doing the right thing for our water, our community and AlexRenew.
- Mutual Appreciation & Respect – recognize and value our individual talents and collective successes.
- Initiative & Adaptability – provides service beyond required or expected effort; proactively originates action rather than only responding to suggestions & directions from others.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making – displays ability to define a problem, develops workable and realistic alternatives, and selects appropriate alternative to resolve problem.
- Job Knowledge & Continuous Cross-Functional Learning – Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the job processes & procedures. Stays aware of current developments & trends in all relevant technical/professional knowledge areas.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy or Environmental Science or related field preferred, or combination of education and experience.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible business and management analysis experience including legislative policy analysis and negotiation.
- Knowledge of modern principles, practices, techniques and methods of policy analysis.
- Strong research, data analysis and visualization skills, ability to interpret and analyze data, convert analysis to different types of communication materials (e.g. talking points, blog posts, data visualization and graphics) that can be used as effective policy communication.
- Excellent listening, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, elected and appointed officials, representatives of private sector, community groups, and citizens.
- Knowledge of key policy issues facing the water sector.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite and common statistical software packages.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee may perform on an occasional to regular basis while performing functions of this job. A detailed Physical Demands Analysis is available in Human Resources and a copy will be provided to all incumbents in this position. While performing the duties of this job, typical of office work, include lifting up to 10 pounds, and minimal pushing or pulling.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter on an occasional to regular basis while performing the functions of this job. Environmental conditions necessitate following strict safety guidelines and use of Personal Protective Equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs work indoors in a climate controlled environment, with outdoor trips between buildings.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-10-26