Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Research and Policy Director of Federal Strategies
Title: Research and Policy Director of Federal Strategies
Reports to: Deputy Director of Federal Strategies
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $98,301 to $107,517
Tentative Start Date: As Soon as Possible
About Race Forward
Race Forward’s mission is to catalyze movement building for racial justice. In partnership with communities, organizations, and sectors, we build strategies to advance racial justice in our policies, institutions, and culture. Race Forward imagines a just, multiracial democratic society free from oppression and exploitation, in which people of color thrive with power and purpose.
Since 1981, Race Forward has brought a systemic analysis and an innovative approach to complex race issues to help people take effective action toward racial equity. In 2017 Race Forward united with the Center for Social Inclusion to become the new Race Forward.
The Federal Strategies Team Research and Policy Director is integral to the Federal Initiative to Govern for Racial Equity. The Director will work with the Federal Strategies Deputy Director in shaping and executing the research and policy vision of the Federal Initiative. Research and policy on racial equity at the federal level is a landmark endeavor. Race Forward is focusing on “government as an institution” as well as “governance within institutions”. The Project Director is responsible for overseeing and coordinating research for the federal team; developing research and policy fact sheets, issue papers and reports that align with racial equity and governance for featuring in reports, presentations, media outreach, and curricula; and assisting with the development and execution of Race Forward’s research and policy agenda broadly. The position requires political savvy; a keen understanding of the relationship between racial equity and public policy issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Works under the direction of the Deputy Director of Federal Strategies to:
- Conducts research and consults with stakeholders on racial equity topics, such as social impact assessment, community engagement, implementing equity analyses, and data collection.
- Research racial equity efforts at the federal level as well as transferable practices from state and local jurisdictions.
- Shares research, findings, strategies, and best practices as well as makes recommendations to the federal initiative team.
- Identifies opportunities to elevate or recognize past and present solutions for advancing racial equity that are catalyzed by the federal government.
- Leads special projects that may be politically sensitive and complex which may require preparation of requests for proposals; selection of consultants; ensuring compliance; monitoring project budgets; and tracking project results.
- Compiles, analyzes, interprets, and tracks data (qualitative and quantitative) and determines pertinent issues and trends.
- Conducts research related to racial equity for inclusion in reports, presentations, media outreach, and curricula, including documenting utility of the GARE model to facilitate repurposing it for the federal pilot.
- Confers with representatives of government agencies, vendors and others as required by project assignments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform successfully in this role, incumbent should possess skills and abilities identified below:
- Ability to research relevant case examples and translate them into compelling narratives.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, and complete reports and other written materials.
- Ability to rise above siloes and to work across stove-pipes in order to realize optimal outcomes.
- Ability to prepare research products that reflect a mature sense of cultural intelligence and sensitivity.
- Ability to think critically and a deep curiosity about the challenges and opportunities facing institutions.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
Qualifications and Experience
- Education or experience commensurate to 10+ years of work in the fields of public policy, racial equity, social justice, equitable development, public administration, research, or consultation.
- Demonstrated thought leadership and subject matter expertise in the area of racial equity.
- Experience analyzing policy trends and data trends to inform changes in strategies and tactics to achieve goals.
- Experience providing subject matter expertise to, and lead the development of new, forward-thinking policies and program initiatives related to racial equity that respond to changing conditions.
- Possess the balance of interpersonal and communication skills as well as technical, research, and analytical skills.
- Experience discussing issues of race and institutional and structural racism.
- Experience with project management and oversight.
- Experience writing articles and blogs for the purpose of promoting results as well as marketing to new agencies and partners.
This position requires long periods of time at a desk on a computer up to 8 hours daily. This position will be required to travel quarterly when safe to do so. Additional travel as necessary.
How to Apply
External Applicants: To apply for this position, please click the link below. To ensure full consideration, please be sure to include both a cover letter and resume with your application. https://raceforward.isolvedhire.com/jobs/
Race Forward provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job posted: 2021-12-28