Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Advisor, Federal Government Affairs
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The position is within the External Affairs group and reports to the Director, State & Federal Government Affairs. It is located in Columbus, OH with travel as needed.
The Sr. Advisor, State Government Affairs – Ohio is responsible for consulting with company experts to devise strategies to advocate for FirstEnergy’s positions on public policy issues that impact the company. The Sr. Advisor will interact with important stakeholders which influence public policy in Ohio including customer and pertinent advocacy groups, business and industry allies. The Sr. Advisor will oversee development of coalitions with like-minded allies and the preparation of materials needed to present the company’s positions. The Sr. Advisor is responsible for key lobbying messaging. The Sr. Advisor will maintain close communication with company Subject-Matter Experts across a spectrum of issues. The Sr. Advisor must maintain keen insight into the public policy process and be able to anticipate legislative outcomes and impacts on FirstEnergy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Direct the day-to-day activities of the company’s outside state lobbyist(s).
- Develop strategies to advance policy positions that support the company’s business goals and priorities.
- Coordinate with policy experts within External Affairs to communicate legislative intelligence useful to the policy development process.
- Interact with the company’s Subject Matter Experts on legislative initiatives that are important to the company and/or its stakeholders.
- Participate in the preparation of materials (e.g., issue papers, talking points, analyses) that communicate the company’s positions and rationale to legislators and other stakeholders.
- Monitor legislative activities (e.g., hearings, statements, draft bills) to determine early in the policy-making process which issues warrant review by External Affairs policy experts and company Subject Matter Experts and offer advice for reviewing the issues.
- Inform company leadership of the likely impacts on the company of various pieces of legislation.
- Represent the company at stakeholder meetings and with allies to advocate for FirstEnergy priorities.
- Ensure complete compliance with all state and federal laws and rules and internal controls and policies.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a business-related, political science or communications field.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of relevant experience is required.
- Knowledge of the utility and energy industries and regulations preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of the political and public policy processes.
- Ability to advance policy positions with key stakeholders and represent the best interest of the company.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish, develop, and maintain positive working relationships.
- Strong business acumen combined with the ability to inspire and lead a team while promoting the values of trust and integrity.
- Competence in using information technology resources.
- Advanced administrative principles and skills, including strategy development and analysis.
- Strong planning and project management skills to achieve company objectives
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills to evaluate proper course of action by factoring in financial, operational, political and legal ramifications
- Versatility to consistently work in situations where there are multiple and diverse demands
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong presentation skills, ability to understand needs and adapt style to various audiences
- Demonstrated ability to shape opinions and win acceptance for proposed changes and new initiatives of key political, community and internal stakeholders
- Ability to think strategically and creatively
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create results driven and team oriented work environment
- Excellent strategic planning and analysis skills
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Job posted: 2023-09-05