Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Senior Advisor for Strategic Communications, Office of Communications (Job ID: 2021-2790)
Join one of the most influential, most quoted and most trusted think tanks!
The Brookings Institution is a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to conduct in-depth research that leads to new ideas for solving problems facing society at the local, national and global level.
We bring together leading experts in government and academia from all over the world, rooted in open-minded inquiry and representing diverse points of view, who provide the highest quality research, policy recommendations, and analysis. Research topics cover a full range of public policy issues in economics, foreign policy, development, governance and metropolitan policy.
With fair and transparent business practices, clear communication, mutual respect, and a collaborative atmosphere that offers both professional and personal development opportunities, Brookings offers an inclusive and welcoming workplace that values the efforts of all contributors.
The mission of the Office of Communications is to provide the tools, strategies, products and programs to support the brand and its content, and to continually grow Brookings’s impact and effectiveness as a change agent for public policy in the United States and around the world. This purpose is realized if we help our scholars raise awareness, set the agenda and shape the debate around the public policy issues they choose to address.
Position Location: This position is based in Brookings’ Washington, DC office. The person hired for this position must be willing to move to or currently reside in Washington DC, Maryland, or Northern Virginia by their date of hire.
Operating status: Brookings eligible employees are currently authorized to work remotely but will be moving towards a hybrid plan later this year, which will require working both in the office and remotely. All vaccinated Brookings employees who wish to work from the office can do so. Brookings policies on masks and other pandemic mitigation measures will continue to be informed by DC and CDC guidelines.
Vaccine Policy: Brookings has made the safety of our staff and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, Brookings recently announced that staff on Brookings campus this fall are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Brookings will require all staff and visitors to submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in Brookings buildings.
As a visitor and/or a new employee at Brookings, you will be required to comply with the vaccination policy. Individuals invited for an in-person job interview or hired as an employee that (i) have a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination, or (ii) who object to being vaccinated based on a sincerely held religious belief, may request a reasonable accommodation.
Ready to contribute to Brookings success?
The Senior Advisor for Strategic Communications manages media relations and communications strategies for the Brookings Institution, including for major institutional initiatives. Develops and implements high-level communications announcements and manages messaging on key issues related to the Brookings brand. Point of contact for external stakeholders and partners related to media and institutional affairs. Works closely with the Executive Office, Office of Development, and the Office of General Counsel.
Institutional Communications and Brand Management (70%)
- Manage communications related to the Brookings brand, including by developing and implementing a comprehensive strategy for the institution.
- Develop and implement communications plans for high-profile institutional announcements and initiatives.
- Strategize opportunities to align communications products and initiatives with executive and program priorities.
- Provide crisis communications support, including by identifying and tracking potential concerns and opportunities, and managing and tracking responses.
- In close collaboration with the Chief Communications Officer and other senior-level colleagues, develop talking points and messaging on key issues.
- In collaboration with the Office of General Counsel and the Office of Development, review partnership and co-branding requests from the research programs.
- Oversee the strategy, direction, review, approval, and implementation of projects relating to EO-led initiatives.
- Manage the President’s Corner web page on Brookings.edu, working in collaboration with EO and the web team to ensure that all research, blogs, commentary, and media from Brookings President John R. Allen are up to date and reflected accordingly.
Institutional Media Relations (30%)
- Manage the Communications Coordinator, ensuring there is appropriate coverage of media monitoring for the institution as well as staffing of the central media inbox and phone line.
- Oversee relationship and contract with media monitoring vendor on behalf of the institution, delegating to the Communications Coordinator as appropriate.
- Oversee relationship with external media trainers, facilitating and scheduling media trainings as needed, delegating to the Communications Coordinator as appropriate.
- Set up cross-institutional media briefings in coordination with communications and research staff as needed, delegating to the Communications Coordinator as appropriate.
- In close collaboration with program media relations staff, develop easy access points for media outlets seeking information and interviews with Brookings experts and staff including through the website, delegating to the Communications Coordinator as appropriate.
Ready to make an impact? In this role, you will support Brookings values of collegiality, respect, inclusion, diversity and community, and bring the following qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum seven years of experience in a communications or related office required, preferably in a media relations capacity with social media and digital communications experience. Capitol Hill experience desired, but not required.
Ability to execute communications plans, with attention to detail and ability to think independently. Able to work within context of larger institution, coordinating communications efforts and problem solve where needed. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team. Must be able to simplify and synthesize complex issues, and strong oral and written communications skills are a must. Experience developing digital communication strategies preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft Office a must. Knowledge of social networking tools a plus. Interest in public policy issues preferred.
What can we offer you? Brookings provides a generous benefit package that is comprehensive and includes both traditional benefits and unique offerings.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply. Please note: if you have applied to more than one Brookings job opening you should add a position-specific cover letter as a separate attachment.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
Brookings welcomes and celebrates diversity in all its forms. We welcome applications that reflect a variety of backgrounds based on ideology, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, first generation college goers, and other factors protected by law. Brookings is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-12-22